Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

The audio coming directly from the green (speaker) plug on a desktop
computer is too low to directly power external speakers. I bought a pair
of "powered" computer speakers and they worked well for several years,
although they did not have the best sound quality. I then connected the
computer to an actual stereo receiver and got great sound (playing MP3s
and videos, etc).

The problem was that the audio from a computer varies greatly in volume
level. Some MP3's are very quiet, while others blow my ear drums, not to
mention speaker damage. And websites that have audio embedded are nerve
shattering.

On top of that, I decided to put the computer back in my bedroom, where
it's more handy. There is no room for a large stereo in the bedroom, so
I went back to those powered speakers. A few weeks ago, those powered
speakers quit working. I opened them and the bare speakers still work,
but the built in amplifier is dead, and I'm not even going to bother to
try to repair it (probably could not get parts anyhow).

Rather than buy another pair of powered speakers, I'd rather buy a small
amplifier and use some small (non-amplified) speakers which I already
have. So, I went to Ebay to look for a small amp. I dont want anything
that's high powered or I'll blow the speakers or my ears again. I also
dont want anything expensive.

I found this one:
http://tinyurl.com/puuyqgp

There are others, but this one has a power supply (wall module)
included. And is in my price range. Not to mention 20W is a reasonable
amount of wattage.

My question is whether this will work from the speaker plug on the
computer??? (Yea, I need and have the adaptors to convert from the
stereo mini-plug on the computer to the RCA plugs). My concern is
whether the audio level from the computer will overload the input on
this amp, or one like it?

Thanks for all help!

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

should be fine, barring any issues with seller or product. A 2w rms per channel amp is only a buck from China.

NT

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

It's surprising that the king of making junk into great stuff
would give up so easily.  Fixing them would be a great exercise in
perspective.  No fair using anything but rocks and string.

That's uncharacteristically expensive.
Why not just pick up something abandoned by the side of the road
and use that?
Here in the first world, we call it the free box at the garage sale.

The weakest point in almost any system is the speaker.
The smaller the speaker, the worse the problem.
Hanging on a random amp won't help that.
Computer speakers with subwoofers at least have a chance to
improve on the deficiencies of the speakers.

I have some old Yamaha speakers I found by the side of the road
that work well enough that I haven't turned on the system with the
Klipschorns in years.  Plug 'em into an old cellphone (also found
by the side of the road) and instant mp3 player and computer speakers.

:-)

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

Are you confusing me with boomer? Or maybe it's someone I don't recognise.

NT

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?
looks that way.
Sounds like he needs your help. ;-)

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

snip

  A mere 2 W is what the PC already produces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-10W-10W-2-0-Channel-PC-Speaker-AMP-DIY-Module-HIFI-/252172926932

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

  I'm with you, hit a few yard sales, I've seen several computer speaker
systems with a subwoofer for $5 to $20. I've had an Altec Lansing
system, (two satellites and a subwoofer under my computer desk) for 5 or
6 years that I bought cheap at a church sale.
  Even check at Goodwill or Salvation Army.

                                 Mikek

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

Should work but you're still going to have the problem of widely
varying volume.

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?
   Since the audio level FROM the computer is all over the map, expect
the same (can i hear you) to !WAKE UP! levels.
   Try rolling your own 1920s style AVC..

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

why? I don't have that problem. PC software mixer set up wrong?

lightbulbs maybe. But you need more than line out to drive those. Old fashioned phone AGCs are nonlinear, best avoided.

NT

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

Yeah, it'll probably work, but... there's a 'minimum THD' specification, but no
specified maximum.  A typo?  I'd look at other options (heck, try the local
thrift store- prices are better).

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?
Gave us:

  That's funny..  "We guarantee it will have at least this much
distortion..."

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

I'm guessing it is just one of these:
http://www.kafka.elektroda.eu/pdf/tripath/TA2020.pdf

the powersupply look tiny

-Lasse

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:53:13 -0600 boomer# snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in

That's easy to fix.
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Re: Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

Better late than never right?
I have that item Lapei amplifier.
Yours might be a knockoff from the spelling so beware.
Got mine from www.parts-express.com
about two years ago, used daily w/o issue.

Paired with a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card well worth the $15.00 used I
paid for it I can crank it up to 1/2 max volume w/o hiss or distortion
which is plenty enough being digital to blast you out of a small room.

Anything over 1/2 volume though and the distortion goes from inaudible to
unbearable.

As to the variances in the mp3s' I believe lame can adjust those levels.

Site Timeline