Will it work? BiFeO3

Exactly, yes.

The enigma code /was/ impossible - or at least utterly impractical - to crack by listening to the codes. The most important aspect of cracking the enigma was - like most cracking - the human aspect. Mistakes made by German operators, key tables and machine parts stolen by Poles, and so on - those were absolutely essential to cracking it. No amount of theory or computing power alone would have allowed it to be broken.

The lesson to be learned from this is not that "impossible things can be done", which is nonsense. We have learned that you can't rely on the secrecy of the /method/ for keeping encryption save - the algorithms and code should be assumed to be public knowledge.

No, I am not in the USA. That makes /me/ feel safer :-)

Reply to
David Brown

It is worse than that - it is garbling 9 bits out of 10, at least. And that is with the old disk technology that was out of date before the paper was even written - with newer disks, the recovery rate would be far lower.

Reply to
David Brown

Not good enough. Scraping all the magnetic coating off is though.

We used to have a clock ornament made of a platter of a VAX disk that was in a serious head crash with "back up your data" written underneath. The gouges in its surface were quite impressive.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Exactly. You have no way of knowing which bits might belong to which write, or which path was taken by the head.

In some cases, you can build up useful information from just a few bits here and there. But it is critical that you know which bits you know, and you know where they go, and that you can re-use the information in repeated cases. None of that is true in this case.

It is also true that you can often put together some useful information even if there are missing bits - things like ASCII text files have a fair amount of redundancy, and you have a reasonable chance of filling in some gaps or getting a partial result.

But recovery of hard disk data that has been erased is not like that. You can guess a few bits here and there, but are usually not sure if they are valid. You don't know /when/ that old data was written, and can't match it with other old data. At most, you get a rough idea of a small proportion of the bits - not enough to fit together a bigger picture.

Reply to
David Brown

A few seconds on a band saw should work fine.

lunatic fringe electronics

Angle grinder.

Reply to
krw

Harddisks are surprisingly robust.

See this video

from a DefCon presentation.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Not on MY bandsaw. Not in my kitchen oven, either.

At the focus of a solar mirror array, it should be possible to load a few dozen drives an hour, collecting dribbles of aluminum/zinc alloy all the while.

Reply to
whit3rd

iconductor era

logic circuits

?

you could presumably construct an identical bismuth-centred arrangement of iron atoms.

equal numbers of bismuth and iron atoms.

These crystal structure images can be hard to appreciate in light of the ch emical formula. The single iron in the center is easy enough to see. The eight bismuth atoms are each only one eighth inside this cube while being s hared with seven other cubes, so this cube only has 1 bismuth atom. The six oxygen atoms are each on the face of the cube, so half-in resulting in onl y 3 oxygen atoms inside the cube giving the formula shown.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

A 1" cut on the band saw, just a bit into the platter, should be fine.

Or drill a hole thereabouts.

As a practical matter, I could just mash the pins on the connector. I don't expect the Russian intelligence agencies to get my old drives.

lunatic fringe electronics

They'd probably be mining more fertile ground.

It's actually the Chinese who are more active in technology espionage - or at least that's what the Australian government always tells us when yet another defense technology firm gets hacked.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Dec 9, 2018, John Larkin wrote (in article):

The platter may well be made of glass.

.

My go-to method involves putting the hard drive in a ziplock bag (to contain the fragments), a large boulder (or an anvil), and a 2-pound drilling hammer. This would give even an intelligence agency some trouble.

If you really want to erase the databeyond any possible recovery, raise the temperature above the Curie Temperature of the magnetic alloy on the platters:. Beware the toxic smoke.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

My Makita hammer drill would work fine. It chews right into concrete.

Three of the walls of my office are concrete, so I need the Makita to hang or bolt anything.

lunatic fringe electronics

... fine for WHAT? If one has electron microscope capability, a cut would take out one or two sectora from each full disk track, leaving the remaining data intact. Write-with-randoms and a couple of passes would be much more data-destructive, and would leave you with a working drive.

Bandsaw teeth can be damaged (bent/broken) if they cut into something that subsequently moves... or into a ceramic magnet.

Reply to
whit3rd