Will a CB 11 meter Linear Amp work on a 1.5 meter broadcast band transmitter?

Will a CB 11 meter Linear Amp work on a 1.5 meter broadcast band transmitter?

I have a 100 mw transmitter to use to broadcast my music inside my house to use so i can listen to good music on my antique radios. I live on a farm and far from any city. I'd like to boost the AM braodcast signal so I can hear it on my tractor radio when I am in the field. So I need to receive it up to about 2 miles.

Yes, I know it's illegal, but I am not too concerned, since only about 5 houses exist nearby and they would all likely all enjoy my music if they do hear it, since they are all in my old age category.

Anyhow, the thought is to use a 10 to 25 watt CB linear. I can limit the area by the size of my antenna, so it dont go too far past my fields.

Can this kind of 11 meter amp work on 1 to 2 meters AM, or does it need to be modified?

Reply to
farmer

no you're mixing megahertz and meters. Unless you have an antique radio mounted on your tractor, you're far better off with an mp3 player. Even in the house, you're gonna get far better fidelity with anything other than an antique radio.

Reply to
mike

You want a 27 MHz amplifier to work on 1 MHz. Also, IIRC most of those "CB linears" were originally designed for the 10 meter band, a few MHz higher, but not a factor of 27. (either way)

You are better off just building a transmitter. For AM is it ridiculously easy.

Reply to
jurb6006

I'm not a radio nor RF guy. But I have some questions. You want to detect and then re-broadcast the AM radio signal? What's to stop the re-broadcast signal from swamping your first receiver?

(side note AM radio is 0.5 to 1.5 MHz. wavelength* freq = c, so 1 MHz has a wavelength of 300 meters.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

the AM broadcast band is like 200m to 600m not 1.5m

perhaps connect it to a better antenna.

Jasen Betts