Why has the consumer electronics industry given up on boomers?

It seems everything these days is aimed at teenagers, I would buy an MP3 player if they would make it with a decent sized key pad. It seems everything has tiny buttons and tiny displays. Smaller is not always better. There are 70 million of us and we may end up being the only ones with moiney as we tax our kids into poverty to pay for Social Security. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Though I only use it when I travel I like my iPOS Mini (I transfer "books on tape" to it)... the "scroll" works well enough for me.

And I just upgraded my cell phone to an LG-VX9800, with flip-out QWERTY key-pad. One of my granddaughters has the same phone, but I'll be using text messaging entirely differently than she does ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Teenagers have less requirement for "quality", which is learnt over the years, so are esily duped into "smaller is better" marketing

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Because teenagers are a larger (in dollars spent) market segment for products of that type.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Plus they have lousy taste, can be sold by advertising and can't tell crap from good stuff.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Because they are psychological lemmings and hormonal to boot. But, if we live long enough, we might become dependent on them!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Gee. That's what the old farts said about teens 40 years ago, when I was one.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I can actually live with that. It's those damned movies and music with the sound that you can't hear that drives me nuts.

Reply to
mgkelson

But then there was no method for the Old Farts like us to moan about it on the usenet.

I wonder if the WWW thing from CERN will catch on one day?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Funny that you mentioned that ... I can no longer follow the audio dialogue in most modern moves. I am 65 and thus thought it might be my problem. I went for a test (with a Ph.D, audiologist with the booth and the modern computer stuff, and all of that) and found that my hearing is above normal ... both in amplitude sensitivity and frequency response.

I guess that it is not worth hearing (or not important to hear) and viewers are must use "fill" as they enjoy? these presentations.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

My 2 cents: Older people (1) are not impressed by loud, flashy advertising, and (2) have already figured out that most ads are just a pack of lies. Many young people are just the opposite, so that's where the marketing effort is. Unless it's for stuff like adult diapers, hearing aids, etc. that ONLY older people would buy.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Hello Charles,

Be careful. They are the ones who may decide in which nursing home we end up....

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'm hoping I follow in my father's footsteps. He just turned 88 and still lives in his own house, takes care of himself and his 2nd wife, was repairing his alarm system when I called him last week, having just come inside from digging up some overgrown shrubbery.

I asked him how he was doing. He replied, "I'm still on the green side of the grass" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

After years of having a problem with hearing the dialogue in some movies (actually, a lot of movies), I finally found the solution.

Most movies are recorded in surround sound, but if your audio system doesn't do surround sound, then all of the noise is piped into the same channel as the dialogue. However, if you have a surround-sound system, you can turn the side speakers down or the center speaker up. The center speaker mostly carries the dialogue.

Some of the new TVs do the same thing with their sound-mode options. With my 62", wide-screen Samsung, for instance, I can select the "Speech" setting and usually don't have a problem anymore.

Reply to
mgkelson

I just discovered that I had the same problem at home. I recently bought the complete Gilbert and Sullivan and was playing all ten hours (:-) last Sunday, pondering the "mushy" sound. Playing around with the surround sound settings fixed it.

But I periodically have "mushy sound" issues in movie theaters. Wonder what is happening there?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

A lot of equipment which down mixes 5.1 audio does a bad job with the centre channel which is often the most important channel for movies.

I recently got some (cheap) '5.1' USB connected surround headphones. They obviously don't have a true centre speaker and the mixing to produce a virtual centre speaker was just rubbish. Way too low level and for some strange reason way too much low frequency roll off. Driving them with 4.1 letting the decoding software on the PC create a virtual centre sounded much much better.

Reply to
nospam

I am a young Asian man and from what I have seen, parents sacrify a lot for their kids including money wise. The older people have the money but younger people get influenced by big ads easily. Hence teenagers feel that they need it and parents will buy for them.

Reply to
jack1981

The script was past its prime when they made the movie.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have had the same problem watching sports on TV. The crowd noise overwhelms the commentators' dialogue. I wonder if this is a surround sound issue as well.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

I turn on the captions when watching South Park.

Reply to
Richard Henry