WHOA! Negative Capacitor in LowPass

See...

"NegCapacitor_Used_in_LowPass.png" on the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my website.

Note the phase!

This was whipped up using idealized components... now to go back and do it with OpAmps and see if it behaves. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Whoa! Again! Fails transient analysis, blows up... dreams of zero-phase dashed :-( ...Jim Thompson

Should of just tried a lowpass with C=-1nF without the active elements... that blows up as well.. which should be obvious if one just stops and thinks for one moment:

I = -C*dV/dt Kaboom! ...Jim Thompson

If you're just interested in network response, and not practical implememtation, LT Spice is happy to let you use negative r/l/c component values.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yep. PSpice also. But I got so wrapped up in my amusement with the active-element negative capacitor that I failed to check the simple C=-1nF approach... until the active-element approach produced giga-volts when submitted to transient analysis.

(But it'll pass a dotAC analysis... which leads you down the garden path :-) ...Jim Thompson

Amateur. My negative-c circuits make teravolts.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-)

I have default gmin set at 1n which limits the "kick". ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

      Thinking outside the box to produce elegant solutions.

Yup, those pesky lower half plane poles. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

There's a schematic floating around of a two op-amp circuit that synthesizes a floating negative inductor; so now one can make an LC ladder filter using all negative elements.

See what it's like to live in the antimatter universe...

Reply to
bitrex

What was it that Phil Hobbs was saying about kids these days? "SPICE Monkeys", I think the phrase is...

Your basic lowpass RC filter:

RC H(s) = -------- s + RC

Make R = 1 ohm and C = -1F, just to make the 'rithmatic easy.

Then

-1 H(s) = ------ s + -1

Which you could do _in your head_ if you remembered the basics.

Gawd. MIT grads and their computers...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Right half plane?

Reply to
bitrex

Fourier vs two-sided (i.e. bastardized) Laplace (EE version).

Physicists use the opposite Fourier transform sign convention from EEs, but I was using the EE version as a courtesy, since this is SED. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Which is what I discovered while doodling in the waiting room of my wife's back-injury therapist... which evoked my simulating the phase going the other way.

THEN... I did a transient analysis... kaboom! ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I should be able to make a shock line in Spice, from Ls and -Cs. Gotta try that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you want it to be stable with a negative capacitance, use a negative resistance, too. That'll fix things up.

Might get cold if you run much power through it, though.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Leftists would call that "free" energy ?? ...Jim Thompson