Who is your favourite electronics guru?

Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion.

Including people in this newsgroup & others working in the field, whom do you consider to be the present-day "gurus" in electronics? ...I mean the people who are well known, are inspirational & highly respected for their work & contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

:) Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

In message , dated Mon,

7 Aug 2006, Tony Burch writes

Different people are gurus on different subjects.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Samatha Carter, cool dudette

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

We all know who's going to top that list:-)

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well it sure as hell isn't Bonnie Baker...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Guru is a bs pop expression, as is the idea that there should be a favorite. There is a host of people well-known for outstanding work as well as pronounced communication abilities. When they write, we read, and when they publish, we buy.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Good answer, I second that one:)

I'm really hoping that people take the question in a light-hearted way. I know that the word "guru" is just a "pop" term, as pointed out by Fred. Maybe this is just a chance to honour someone you respect. Maybe some readers will check out your "guru" and also enjoy them.

:) Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

Actually no. It's a sanskrit word, and the concept is common to a number of eastern religions. One could indeed think of a guru as a guide, though that's simplistic.

Obivously, there is one name that immediately comes to mind for this, since he has outright used the term to refer to himself. I'm not sure it doesn't apply.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

My favourite? So many to choose from....the funniest ones are the ones who write "Ideas for Design" articles. Those are usually very funny, even funnier than H&H's "Bad Circuits", though sometimes a bit more subtle.

Round here, credibility is roughly inversely proportional to ego.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

well, for a guru who does not appear here, I would vote for Jim Williams of AN70 fame,

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Robert Pease (General Analog stuff ;understandable, down to Earth) Howard Johnson (RF & Microwave; able to simplify complex subject)

Reply to
Jon

Anyone who can write useful explanatory electronics related texts clearly. It's a rare quality.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well, obviously, Win, Spehro, John, and John, and sometimes John, not necessarily in that order. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Don Klipstein seems to know everything there is to know about LEDs. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I used to worship Don Lancaster, until I met him here, and he turned out to be kind of a dork.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

snip

I can imagine a SED night out in a pub, it would probably shut this NG down :-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Win and I did OK sipping a few and we're politically arch enemies ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hey Jim, got a lotta respect for you and Win, and the 3 Johns, or is it 4? You make a nice target as well :-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

What? This isn't already a pub? ;-P

You guys need to drink more. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm sure that if we keep away from politics, you're a fine guy - the scary thing is that in your picture "Opti-Visor Monster" you look almost exactly like my brother. =:-O

And you have more chins than I have! This pleases me, for some reason. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise