Which MOSFET / IGBT can afford 5A current normal operation and 40A current at 1-2 seconds?

Hmm... Mass production... DC motor from rectified 220Vac... Food juicer... 40A for two seconds overload current...

Is this a consumer product?

I live in a 120Vac country, but allot of household circuits have circuit breakers of only 15Amps or sometimes 25A. I imagine in 220Vac countries they would use similar or smaller circuit breakers. If this is a consumer product I should imagine if you let the motor draw 40A for two seconds in allot of instances it will trip the household circuit breaker... Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Fritz Schlunder

Plus, you can use the SCRs with phase control to reduce the current during stall, to avoid requiring shutoff entirely, unless the stall condition lasts far too long. You could also create a "stutter" in an attempt to free up the stall, and to send a signal to the user. You can list me on the patent applications. :

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Sorry, but the way I see it, current sensing is even better. Like I typed before, it will give you a soft start and longer switch life for free, it will provide better protection against fire (a stall detector is always off board) and it will cost less.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel