Where is Windows 8 Hiding My Files?

I have an old application which writes files to its program folder. I think starting with Windows 7 and I know in Windows 8 they fake out the program by putting the file in another folder that's ok for applications to write. This allows Windows to put special protections on the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories.

But I can't find the durn thing. I thought it would be under User//Appdata//, but nothing there. I looked under the ProgramData folder, but again, nothing there.

Where the devil has Windows 8 put my durn data file?

--

Rick
Reply to

C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

??

Martin Riddle

If you know the file name or part of it you can do a search. It's a royal pain in the behind*, but you should only have to do it once.

  • "Behind" instead of "a**" in honor of your "durn".
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:43:58 -0500, Tim Wescott Gave us:

Ask Bruce Durn where it is. (yes, I know, dernit!)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did that, nothing found.

--

Rick
Reply to

There it is! Thanks. A google search just got a lot of suggestions on how to find "hidden" files and directories and other stuff. Sometimes it's hard to tell Google what you are looking for. I saw an interview of the head Google guy who was saying their search engine used to have the intelligence of a 5 year old, but now it is more like a 10 year old. Huh!

--

Rick
Reply to

Can't you get to something like Windows Explorer ? Is there such a thing ?

Damn, when I can no longer use XP/Vista I guess it is Linux.

Damn, it is worse than all that, I might have to take advice from you know who when that happens.

Reply to
jurb6006

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:59:19 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Search \ AppData directory.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:02:31 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Here is some advice...

Up your nose wit a rubbah hose!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Win7, with a bit of tweaking, behaves a lot like XP. Different set of stupid annoyances.

lunatic fringe electronics

Download and install the program "Everything". Let it built an index of file names. Then use Everything to search by name. It will also do wild card searches and REGEX. That's what I use to quickly find files.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Win 7's file search will even search through the EXIF info. You could search your photos by camera model.

Reply to
gray_wolf

You can get WinFile (File Manager) to run on W7 and XP. None of this new fangled Windows Explorer stuff for me.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

Explorer is OK if you tweak the Windows settings and install ClassicShell. It does some weird column jumping, apparently incurable, but anybody who uses Windows learns to live with some stupidities.

W7 won't run webcams, like XP did, but there's a fix for that, WebcamViewer.

W7 is remarkable inconsistent across various functions. It's like the programmers never talked to one another, and don't ever use Windows themselves.

Turn off auto updates, of course.

lunatic fringe electronics

Windows explorer would be ok if they left it alone, but like everything else in Windows they keep "improving" it. I'm glad Microsoft doesn't design cars. We'd all be dead already.

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't do file searching that often, really. I just never have confidence in the WE search to believe it actually didn't find what I was looking for. There are so many ways for it to not see things that are really there.

--

Rick
Reply to

I had updates turned off, then installed Project. The install turned updates back on!

Had to turn them off again.

Martin Riddle

I have updates turned off _and_ installed a utility, GWX Control Panel, which watches for any sneakies from Micro$hit. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

The dog "8" them..

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 08:44:56 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You are not looking very closely then. Sure the file listing appears. Take note of the slowly progressing green bar at the top, however. That is Microslut performing a "sort" on your directory. I don't expect you, John Larkin, to understand. You are always so oblivious to details.

Go degrease your PCBs.