Where can I buy this movement?

I'm looking for just the guts of a Stewart-Warner-style two coil pointer driver... just the mechanism, no case, dial, or anything.

I'm trying to make my nice stone outdoor thermometer sun-proof, by sensing the temperature elsewhere ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Go to the auto parts store, buy a gauge that uses that movement, then take it apart.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Have you priced them? Try $90 :-(

Might have to try winding my own ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Den tirsdag den 6. december 2016 kl. 23.40.44 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

?
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks, Lasse.

I wonder... is there such a thing as a two-pole PM motor? They're in textbooks... real life ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Alternatively: Is there a ready-made stepper type assembly that I can feed bits defining the angle and have the rotor go to that angle? ...Jim Thompson

Look for GM instrument replacement steppers. They are incremental, of course, so you have to zero them then step to the desired angle.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Radio-Controlled servo motors might fit the bill...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

if used as is they need to be powered all the time, they tend to move when powered up.

but i guess you could just open one up and connect directly to the motor and potmeter

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Any way to control them without a uP ?:-( I speak only analog... I farm out digital... this is a G-job. ...Jim Thompson

movement. Can that be had? ...Jim Thompson

eBay or Craigslist may net you some joy.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Sure, just get a big compass. Treat it as a compass-repeater problem.

A permanent magnet, four N poles, four S poles made from iron, and a little AC applied selectively to the arms (to cause saturation) will steer a compa ss nicely.

Reply to
whit3rd

Don't think so. Even the Sail winch servos are only 140 degrees.

Martin Riddle

:

can

hen powered up.

r and potmeter

If Jim goes to the trouble of using a stepper motor to do his job, 360 degr ees is a given, but he will have to work out a way initially setting an abs olute orientation.

lists a rotary encoder with a 4-bit absolute output - 22.5 degree steps.It' s a Grayhill 25LB22-H and not all that cheap, but there are lots of parts lik e it around.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The last time I saw one of those I had just built it from nails and bell wire.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Many of the aircraft ADF indicators are using a two-phase motor to turn the pointer. Another possibility is a resolver (two-phase synchro) with rotor fed with DC.

--

-TV
Reply to

Jim Thompson prodded the keyboard with:

Would a Selsyn pair work. Basically a pair of motors connected so that when one moves/rotates the other one follows it.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

A motorised volume potentiometer

next you'll be wanting a linear track on the pot...

Jasen Betts

Sure you can. Servo City sells some with continuous rotation, even. RC servos rock.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs