Where are all the ESR meters?

Guess the enthusiasm fizzled when you got into the nitty-gritty of it all...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

They couldn't find it already done in AoE ;-)

Where's the meat?

Where's the fence?

Where are the designers ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

I posted a schematic to abse. Nobody else did anything but blather about kelvin clips and dreams of ideal behavior.

I note that you didn't post a design, either.

John

I'll post mine, when I get enough energy to transcribe it from my paper scratchings, calculations and notes. Remember, it must be four terminal, and handle high DC voltages when probing in-circuit storage capacitors.

Reply to
Winfield

How high is "high"?

...Jim Thompson

Why? So you can plagiarize someone else's work, instead of doing your own?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If it was a trivial problem, we would all have $5 meters that did it well.

Reply to
John Popelish

I think that the requirement that it must handle "high DC voltages" is the easiest to justify eliminating, to open up the possibilities. My milliamp meter won't do that, but I still find it useful, even though I have to change the fuse, occasionally.

Reply to
John Popelish

Yep- more like a BOM graphic...

Right- nada.

Nope, not yet.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Do you do any work at all?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The meters for sale to the techies are trivial, and they sell for around $200.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Actually, I've posted two so far... a simple analog thing with a phase-sensitive detector (on 7/5) and a digital multifunction meter (on 7/15).

I thought you didn't design electronics.

John

It was a pun! No, wait, it was a palindrome!

If exaggerating for effect is called hyperbole, what is under-exaggeration called? Hypobole?

Reply to
The Phantom

--
Depends on where your weed comes from.
Reply to

Those methods are too direct. All you end up with is an abbreviated impedance analyzer.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

With the goodies available these days, the hardware would be near-trivial, for either a frequency or time-domain version. The firmware would be work, but firmware is free to manufacture!

John

Do you? Its well known on this group that I am now 100% disabled, after almost 40 years of working in the electronics industry. Also, I never claimed to be a circuit designer. yes, i have designed and built equipment I couldn't find, or get before a critical deadline but it was never for public consumption. Almost all were one off, and for whoever I was working for at that time. A wide variety items, but of very little interest to others.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That was why the Bob parker design uses a .5 V test signal. A pair of anti parallel power diodes will discharge a capacitor. Anatek had a modification kit for sale to add the protection diodes.

They compare several popular ESR meters here:

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

200KV?
Reply to
Robert Baer

all...

How many 200 KV Electrolytics have you seen?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida