What the best Intercom these days?

Hi,

Looked up and down, slim pickens. Most are powerline based which according to reviews means serious range issues, static, reliability problems. Newer ones need three-prong outlets which is often not possible where you have these little two-wire extensions (what were they thinking?). The Chamberlain NLS2 is 900MHz based which is very good, but according to reviews needs batteries or a really clunky wall wart, and quality was occasionally reported as not too great despite the high price.

(street price is around $100)

What's needed is simple: A box with a "Talk" button and a volume control potmeter. Ideally for 115V two-prong plug-in but where the communication happens on 900MHz or some other RF band that is as low in frequency as possible. Any experience?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

modelId=7808

Is this for you around the house or the church or ? What the wife and I use are a couple of Moto talkabout radios. I have one out in the shop and we keep one on the kitchen counter. If she needs me or I need a big ol glass of iced tea, just push to talk.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

.
808

Why are you shying away from the AC wiring link? They use FM centered aroun d 200kHz and you can probably get as much distance as you need. Yes, occasi onal noise [are you going to talk THAT long?] but unless you go to BlueToot h in the 5+GHz band, you'll still have problems.

These things are CHEAP! multi-drop, push to talk sometimes station to stati on, sometimes PA to everyone, seems ideal. I have't seen full-duplex on any intercom, except for a true telephone. then haven't looked either.

Reply to
Robert Macy

We've had a full-house (hared-wired) intercom for 20 years... hardly ever used it.

The most common situation is a telephone call for the spouse... just use the "flash" feature on the phone. ...Jim Thompson

We had always used the intercomm feature on our wireless phones, until my handset died and we haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. What I really need is a two line wireless phone system, but haven't found one yet in our price range...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

We have this one...

The "locator" feature is particularly useful... lose the phone, press the button at the base station and the remote rings ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Right now for us, but I'd like to know for elderly folks as well.

That's what we use right now but they slurp up a NiMH charge in less than a day. Plus they lose their channel setting every time I remove the batteries for a recharge.

My wife just brought me a nice big iced tea, just out of the blue. That was nice. She makes it in a big glass pot in the sun. Solar iced tea :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

IME all that PLC is flakey. All it takes is one power supply setting off a fat harmonic right there and it's all hosed. BT.

But which ones are good?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We have very similar ones. But Panasonics screwed up the design. Instead of just pressing a button like on our old Panasconic phones now you have to enter some "station code" and fumble through some menues. Stupid decision, classic ivory tower case of not thinking through a design and not trying it in the field.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not bad, but I would need about four handsets, making this about twice any stretch of a budget I can conceive... :-(

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Yep. Gets expensive. We actually only use one, in the kitchen. Rest of the house is hard-wired... my office, wife's office, play room, master bedroom, potties ;-) ...Jim Thompson

A telephone at the dunny? Who are you calling from there?

Make sure the flatulence noise compensator is turned on ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Clients ALWAYS call while I'm on the throne... even had one (a female) call while I was urinating (standing), who asked, "What is that noise?" I said, "What noise, I don't hear anything." >:-}

Done that, too ;-) ...Jim Thompson

UR Leslie Nielsen?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Piss against the bowl, and it'll make less noise. I learned that, long ago and it comes in handy n ow that I'm on diuretics for my swollen legs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"The Last Emperor" has a scene about pissing against the side of the bucket >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Someone gave me wireless intercoms, but gave up on interference. I have two FRS base intercoms which were neat. They are different models, one with flip switches for channel. Got them years ago.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A soldier in a battle zone can't go look for a nice bathroom, and the sound of a good piss splattering can get you killed. That isn't anything to laugh about.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

12 volt sealed lead-acid talk battery. Charge it once a month whether it needs it or not. A circuit that lives next to the talk battery and generates about 50 V 20 Hz from 12 V. Western Electric 500/1500/2500 sets from the thrift store. Extra pushbutton per set to trigger the ring generator circuit. Lots of Category 3 cable. :)

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Rent that movie... it is NOT a laughable event.

The only laughable thing around here is Larkin who claims I abrogated his signature denigration technique and applied it against Larkin himself.

Sorry for the big words Larkin, but I'm sure you can look them up >:-} ...Jim Thompson