What's this newsgroup for?

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me the purpose of this newsgroup? According to:

It says "Discussions relevant to the design of electronics circuits."

Is that the design of existing circuits as well as one's that people are in the process of designing?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

This news group is primarily for politics and religion followed very closely by food and cooking. Occasionally someone throws in some electronics related stuff, but that should always prepended (that word's very geeky) with an "OT:" in the subject line.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Absolutely. The ego-maniacs who constitute the core of this group never miss a chance to demonstrate how clever they are. By the natureof things, we are cleverer about exisitng circuits - where we've had a chance to make all the regular mistakes - than we are about new circuits (not that we see all that many circuits which we are prepared to recognise as new).

We also discuss a large number of other subjects amongst ourselves - the general rule is that if the thread isn't about electronics, it isn't worth following.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment)
Reply to

As designers are relevant to the design of electronic circuits (well, depending on the designers and who you ask around here) one might say anything they think of might be relevant.

If you were capable of following that, you might be ok around here

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

It's unmoderated: nobody makes rules.

What are you designing lately?

John

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The sole purpose of a usenet newsgroup is to gang bang the cripples.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

You want to read Mark Zenier's Guide to sci.electronics.* at ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/m/mzenier/seguide9706.txt

which I now see is the same text that you were pointing to.

Too often people are confusing this with sci.electronics.basics That's where you should be asking beginner type questions, not just because they don't belong here, but because you are more likely to get an answer on par with the level of the question.

The guide is descriptive, it says "The design group is for persons combining components into circuits" which would tend to rule out existing equipment.

This is not supposed to be a tutorial newsgroup, so a curiosity about an existing design likely doesn't fit. It might apply to the equipment newsgroup, though I've never looked in there, because asking about the design might be relevant to what you purchase.

But if it's some circuit you don't understand, be it in an existing piece of equipment or a schematic you saw somewhere, it likely belongs in sci.electronics.basics Because you are seeking understanding in itself, and that's what that newsgroup is for.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Nah, it's a competiton of egos between the country that designed the Spruce Goose Vs the continent who are building several A380s'

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I fail to see the difference ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Give the republicans a break........

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

... and the Goose during 5 years only managed to consume about 1/50th the money Airbus lost just last quarter. :)

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Oh, are the A380s finally rolling out, then? No more delays? ;-)

By the way, the country that designed the Spruce Goose also designed the SR-71 Blackbird and the Boeing 747. ;-)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Well, the Goose designers didn't have RoHS to contend with back then... ;-)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Loved the 747s' 1G roll on its' press demo, the A380 press day was boring, and you can't land another plane for several minutes cos of the turbulance, great.....

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It apparently turned out tht the Goose was strictly a ground effect machine and could not get furthre off the ground.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Neato:

Can't wait till it makes it to all airlines.

Since it's more massive than the 747, would its mass tend to dampen out the unpleasant effects of air turbulence? I fly on Boeing 737s regularly from Sacramento to Southern California for work, and man, the Santa Ana winds just blow that thing all over the place. Rocking like a boat. Can't remember turbulence being as bad on a 747. Even takeoffs are smoother on a 747 (more gradual slope).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Maybe a few more engines would'a done it...

Reply to
mrdarrett

wasn't that a 707 ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

This presupposes (also a very geeky word) that each participant has really strong political convictions and is always at the ready to duke it out ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to