What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

The stock CPU cooling fan in my media server is as noisy as a
jet engine.  What makes the noise?  Mechanical?  Air whooshing
through the fan or cooling fins?  I can't believe such small
object can make so much noise just by spinning.

Thanks,
Gary

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?
Are they old and worn out?
Has the manufacturer not used the emulation of an owl's wing
which has been known and used for decades?
http://google.com/search?q=fan+%22.trailing.edge%22+owl
http://google.com/images?q=site:digikey.com+%22.whisper.fan%22+inurl:Comair

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

"JeffM"

** The first hit in the above link is hysterical.

 Must be translated from the original Chinese by software.

Probably entirely bollocks anyway.

Note the date is April 1.

....  Phil

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

Oh?

What is hysterical? If it is the English please tell me what is wrong
with it?

I must say their second language skill is much better than mine. Is it
better than yours, Phil?

Did you do any research at all before you dismissed it as "entirely
bollocks"? Did you previously know anything about that subject at all?

You of course understand that April 1 as a day of pranks only has
relevance in Western cultures and you understand that Eastern cultures
are not the same thing. Therefore, can you explain comment about April 1
- or was that just a part of your ill will trying to trash something you
don't understand?

Re: David Eather needs to be taken out and shot
For what its worth 96% Sorry Phil, I should have got to this yesterday.
I don't understand your obsession with calling people autistic and I
don't understand how that should be an insult. For example:

If I was autistic, it is no more my fault than the colour of my eyes
are. So I would not feel guilty or ashamed.

If I was autistic, I still take care of my own affairs and  live
without assistance. I don't have a reason to feel diminished or 93%less94%
than anybody else.

If I was autistic, I still have work and a job. I don't have a reason
to feel incapable or a failure since I have already overcome more
obstacles that most people face in an entire life.

Now to other matters-

What I would like is for you to take the minimum responsibility for
your own actions and admit that attacking a stranger, who was not in
any way opposing you was a shitty thing to do.

Re: David Eather needs to be taken out and shot

Have you seen the movie "Temple Grandin"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

John

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

"Abby Brown"

** Never head a siren ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_defense_siren

There are many similarities.

....  Phil

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

Trailing edge blade design. Some have little notches cut into them to
quiet them down.
Also, there is a minimum amount of clearance that is needed in the front
of the fan. I think PC power and cooling has some info on their web
site.

Cheers

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:02:31 -0500, "Martin Riddle"

  It is actually the leading edge that matters, dingledorf.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/video-eurocopter-introduces-silent-rotor-blade-stealth-choppers

 Gratings are responsible for a lot of noise.

  Also, there are SEVERAL different versions of any given form factor
from ultra-silent BUT barely a woosh, to very noisy, but very high output
as well.

  It is all application specific.

  The media server needs no hands on to operate, so put the damned thing
in a closet and forget about it.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/video-eurocopter-introduces-silent-rotor-blade-stealth-choppers

PC fans are of a closed design, versus a helicopter rotor that is open.
I think you made a poor choice to make a comparison. The actual
mechanics that make the noise is different in both situations.

FYI, My PC doesn’t sound like a helicopter.

Cheers

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

Ball bearings are much noisier than sleeve bearings. They also last longer, so
get used in server-class machines.

Small fans spin at much higher speeds, and also make much more noise than big
slow fans. Because server machines are often made for rack mounting, they also
tend to use very small fans (1" rather than 3").  They're also often more
reliant onhigh airflow because the cases are packed tightly, so need more air
from those fans.

Server machines tend to have noisy fans because they're not required to be
quiet, being intended for operation in a dedicated machine room.

Clifford Heath.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

get used in server-class machines.

  "media server" in a consumer class product is merely a gimmick name.

  SOME do.

  LINE LENGTH IN USENET IS 72 CHARACTERS, YOU IDIOT!

  You are mixing form factor and prop velocity, and at a very poor
juncture, since it deflates your entire incorrect argument.

  When was the last time you entered "media server" in google?  And to
that, when did it bring up rack mounted modules?  No, idiot.  It brings
up consumer level CRAP.  Get a clue.

  ONE inch fans?  YOU are an IDIOT.  Give us even ONE citation (link) for
one inch form factor fans.

  You cannot.  You are an idiot.  A one inch fan would be like placing an
additional heat source in your system.

tightly, so need more air from those fans.

  Your common sense level exposes your low IQ level.
quiet,

 COMMERCIAL server fans.  So, it was ALMOST the ONLY thing you have said
so far that is close to being correct.

  Unlike what 'operates' within your skull cavity.

  It makes one think that your PC must be at least ten years old, since
you have no clue about floks' homes and the MILLIONS of "media servers"
in place in them.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

Hey - Glimmerman,

(or is it Dimmerman ?)

You need to lighten up a bit - it's only a discussion !

Link to 1" fan:

www.muchmoreracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id23%73

(first I found but Farnell do Micronel D241L-006GK-1 and others).

MK

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

  No, dumbfuck.  It was a few lines of facts about idiots that buy CRAP.

  Then, there is that thing where you have zero grasp of physics.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?
TheQuickBrownFox Inscribed thus:

How about a 20mm fan. Compaq laptop case exhaust !
Or even 8mm.
http://www.sunon.com/pro2.php?c110%&c2=2

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:28:55 +0000 baron

Must be one of those "retarded" fans. Now he'll tell you you're retarded
as well, rather than admit he was wrong as usual.

A Real Man can admit when he's wrong.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

   Who ever said dimmie was any kind of man?

Teflon coated.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:19:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

  It couldn't have been you.  Children are unable to discern the
difference between a real man, and a wanna be like you and JW.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?

  Real men do not design electronics modules that incorporate 1"
non-fans.

  You are a total retard, JW.  Your biggest problem is that you do n't
even know why you are stupid.

Re: What Make Cooling Fans Noisy?
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:24:51 -0800 TheGlimmerMan

Really? Just in the last week I've worked on an Agilent 8753E that used
one for cooling the CPU. It's not that uncommon, Dum-Dum.

Why don't you just admit you're wrong, AlwayWrong?

Site Timeline