What kind of motor to use for a Disco Ball

I want to make a disco ball. I am thinking of just using a basketball and gluing lots of 5/8 inch mirror squares to it. But the motor is what I am not sure about. I know it turns quite slow. Just guessing, I'd think it rotates about four or five full turns per minute. So I assume the motor needs to be geared down.

I plan to mount the motor in a metal box, which I can attach to the ceiling, and have a hook on the motor shaft for the chain that goes to the ball. Or would it be better to use a solid metal rod, instead of a chain?

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Bring back the 70's ! :)

Reply to
tubeguy

Maybe an AC synchronous motor.. you get get them in a few rpm.

(not sure about mounting) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I would suggest the chain to make the unit more portable. Once it is in pl ace it will stop swinging fairly soon. I'm sure once per minute will be fa st enough. The effect is from a small change in angle causing the reflecti on of the light to swing past your eye. At any distance at all this will b e very quick even with just 6 degrees per second. So a standard second han d drive should be about right.

I'd look for something lighter weight than a basketball. How about styrofo am? Coat it with something that won't dissolve the plastic or look for a h ollow plastic globe. I would shoot for lightweight to prevent it being har d to drive. Even the mirror chips are going to weigh more than enough.

Rick C.

- Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com prodded the keyboard with:

You could always use an oven spit motor 4 rpm or thereabouts !

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Amazon has disco balls. But why?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The old rotating Christmas tree light wheel motor. They were single speed synchronous motors though. You want a variable speed setup because a ball which can barely move is appropriate for one mood, and one set to a disco song for a group of partiers would likely be a bit faster.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

you probably need to do something to ensure the ball stays the same size permanently - perhaps fill it with foam gap filler.

many people purchace foam balls or carve balls from foam.

Some microwave ovens contain a suitable mains powered motor. others have a motor that wants some odd-ball voltage.

Do you run fans indoors? if not a chain, string, or wire would work.

Jasen Betts

fredag den 1. februar 2019 kl. 19.56.43 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com:

unless your time is worth nothing go on amazon and order a ~$50 kit with ball motor and light

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

has some low voltage low power geared motors. 5 rpm at 12 volts is the slowest a quick look showed.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@mysh> I want to make a disco ball. I am thinking of just using a basketball

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Am 01.02.2019 um 19:56 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com:

These motors are readily available. You could look for 1 RPM motor. If you don't find any, you could get a barbecue motor. I'd go for a step motor and a arduino for versatility.

sincerely Gunther

Reply to
Gunther Mannigel

Gunther Mannigel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

actuators used in the RC robot realm.

Reply to
DLUNU

I bought a small one at the dollar store for a few dollars. You can easily find gear motors for a few dollars at Aliexpress.

I assume you'll be adding lasers and a fog machine. Or black light and bring back the sixties.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff