What is wrong with selenium rectifiers in old tube equipment?

In this article for antique 1955 to 57 Zenith tv set, a guy says to replace the selenium rectifiers in the tv. What is wrong with them, or do they go bad from age? I remember working on a lot of the old tube stuff that had the selenium rectifiers, and I always thought they were an improvement over tube rectifiers.

The article is here:

One other thing. I know a guy who has one of these old Zenith sets. (a little different than the one pictured on this site, but about the same age). The CRT is nearly dead, you can only see the picture in a dark room. He tested everything else, and already put on a CRT booster, so the tube is just plain worn out. He wants to find a new CRT, but dont know where to buy them (if they are even available). Do any of you know of a place that still sells replacments? I also recall hearing (years ago), that there is (was) a company that rebuilt CRTs. Anyone know anything about any of this?

Thanks

Reply to
tangerine3

=3D118996

=A0(a

Zap boosting antique tubes is such a bad idea.

explains why, and what actually works. If something can be seen just about in a dark room it shouldnt be necessary to replace it, just do what the link describes.

Seleniums go high R with age, resulting in overheating and a severe stink. Some from the 50s still work, but a lot dont. If you need to replace one with silicon, don't completely ignore the normal selenium resistance's effect on the circuit.

NT

Reply to
NT

or

=3D118996

=A0(a

now

The fumes are toxic too!

Silicon has a much safer 'magic smoke' inside :^)

George H.

Some from the 50s still work, but a lot dont. If you need to

Reply to
George Herold

Ever burned one? The stink is undescribable and poisonous.

The recommendation is to take a bunch of 1N4007's and replace the seleniums with them.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

or

=A0(a

now

I think adding some resistance in series with the diode would be good idea, so that it behaves a bit more like what it should replace

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

That's right.

I should have told it, as I have an experience, about 40 years ago:

My friend had an old Telequipment oscilloscope with badly soft picture, because the high voltage was far below the specified 750 V. The cuprit was the tube diode rectifying the voltage, so he replaced it with a couple of 1N4007's (with equalising resistors and caps). The voltage came immediately up to the specified 750 V, with a brilliant picture. After a few minutes, there was a pfffft sound, and quickly the air got filled with confetti, as the filter capacitors did not stand the full voltage anymore.

--

-Tauno
Reply to

All of them (including new ones) that I ever scoped had a lot of reverse leakage. I will repeat: If you replace with a silicon diode the voltage will be a lot higher unless you do something about it! John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

My first real job involved being a helper in making tv repair house calls.

The first thing that nearly always got asked was "Maam, have you been cooking cabbage?".

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

So what would be something close to the necessary resistance required to compensate for the selenium rectifiers, when replaced with modern silicone diodes?

Thanks

Reply to
tangerine3

Years ago I recall an article for making a Selenium replacement. I'll see if I can find it.

I had tons of those available to me in my Dad's TV repair shop. I used to dismantle and use them as photocells. ...Jim Thompson

Here's a generality article...

and more...

...Jim Thompson

or

=A0(a

now

I guess googles suggesting is a good start ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Cumulative toxin, stays trapped inside you forever.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I still have an unused 1005A laying around ;)

Martin Riddle

Thanks for the articles.

How do you use them as photocells???

Reply to
tangerine3

I retained the clips that made contact to the faces, and used a Nylon screw. They are a giant photodiode. I only used them in photovoltaic mode... I was like 14 at the time, didn't know any other way :-) ...Jim Thompson

I don't think so. I know the fumes are nasty as I found as a kid when I=20 overloaded a DC power pack for my electric trains and I tossed it = outside=20 and closed the door. But Selenium is a vital trace element, and AFAIK it = is=20 metabolized by the body and eventually is gone unless replenished by = chronic=20 exposure. Maybe some forms are more inert, but then why would they be = toxic?

It seems to be mostly an irritant, where high temperatures produce = Selenium=20 Hexafluoride which upon contact with moisture (as in the lungs) = decomposes=20 to elemental Selenium and Hydrofluoric Acid, which is extremely = powerful.

You may be thinking of Mercury or Lead.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

  1. Selenium rectifiers were better due to lower forward drop, but were a potential killer (literally) if abused (think circuit fault causing over-voltage and/or over-current).
  2. Many years ago, a number of US CRT makers would also re-build-them. Then making them got off-shored, then the re-building also got off-shored and all the makers in the US closed shop (for CRTs) and the re-building seems to have stopped then. The Zenith is good only for museums.
Reply to
Robert Baer

There is a DC circuit breaker test set that used Selenium rectifiers for = up=20 to 30,000 amps. They were an assembly about 2 ft cube, with a powerful = (and=20 noisy) fan to keep them cool:

_DS_en_V10.pdf

There is at least one company that still makes them:

html

Now we replace them with silicon modules:

I remember the zapper which could rejuvenate CRTs for a while, but my = father=20 and I sometimes took picture tubes to our local=20

to be rebuilt or in = trade=20 for rejuvenated ones at a significant cost saving.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Selenium Sulphide was used in anti-dandruff hair shampoos. There was a warning not to apply it to damaged skin, but nothing about cumulative toxicity.

(The shampoo smells quite similar to burnt-out selenium rectifiers)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk