What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made? - Page 5

Re: What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made?
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 23:29:23 -0500, "Tim Williams"

RF tubes are OK as long as you can amplitude them. Just add an
envelope detector (diode detector) and drive the speaker. Make sure
you handle  the detector DC bias issue.

Re: What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made?

Good point.

Follow-up question: is there a 100MW+ microwave diode out there? ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made?

Those RF power tetrodes have no problem with amplifying audio.
This is only an issue with resonating tubes like klystrons, magnetrons etc.

Re: What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made?

My newsreader truncated the last bit of the title of this thread; it
appeared to read, "What is the most powerful vacuum cleaner ever made?"
I was about to remind the OP to use an 'OT' prefix.

Re: What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made?

Well, I should imagine a scheme like that would introduce an unacceptable
amount of noise. ;-)
Nice to see you back, Jan!

Re: What is the most powerful vacuum tube ever made?

I've always wondered what the plate curves of those things look like.  They
make extraordinary claims.  I don't see how they're going to get a low
voltage drop for switching operations.

As we still don't have cold-cathode 300Bs in TO-247 packages, I have other
doubts about such technology; but, given that these are very much in the
domain of military secrets and "munitions", I can see there might be reason
for that.  (Speaking of EMP protection, you could just as well wire one as a
blocking oscillator and generate an offensive quantity of ESD, intense
enough to be called EMP as such.)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC