What Is So Damn Hard About a potentiometer In LTSpice ?

I have been up and down the road on this. It seems alot of people want this and a few have done it. I would like to just download it and put the stuff where it belongs and bah da bing. I am not a dumbass but I don't know alot about software.

I want to show my tone control set, which uses a different topology than anyone is used to. I HAVE seen it but it is rare.

A shitload of the links on this I went to in the last couple days timed out or weren't there.

Anyway, I need a pot.

Reply to
jurb6006

The usual approach AFAIK is to have two resistors in series, with a stepped parameter, e.g.

R1 is {Rpot*ratio} R2 is {Rpot*(1-ratio)}

and then on the schematic, type 's', and when the dialogue box appears, type

.step param ratio 0 1 0.1 ; (or whatever step you want.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

See "PotentiometerForSpice.pdf" on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my website. STEP Parameter "SET". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

is and a few have done it. I would like to just download it and put the stu ff where it belongs and bah da bing. I am not a dumbass but I don't know al ot about software.

anyone is used to. I HAVE seen it but it is rare.

ut or weren't there.

Just to review: a pot is a voltage divider and rheostat is a variable resis tance. If a pot is what you want, this insufferable video illustrates what you need to do, as far as I can tell. Don't bother reading any of the manua l in LTSp, it's pure gibberish posing as language.

watch?v=yfUPlEQOhlc

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

is and a few have done it. I would like to just download it and put the stu ff where it belongs and bah da bing. I am not a dumbass but I don't know al ot about software.

anyone is used to. I HAVE seen it but it is rare.

ut or weren't there.

Or do you need "some" pot???

If you just need a standard potentiometer, then others have described what you need to do. It's not hard. But what is special about your "topology"? I recall some very odd pots from old radios with extra taps, tone control s I seem to recall. Are you doing something like this? If you have taps o n your pot and the circuit on your wiper is not high impedance, it would be hard to do in spice I think. I can't visualize a circuit to emulate this off the top of my head.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You just said more then you think. See, this pot is fed with a direct signal with 16 dB gain above line level. Regardless of the pot curve, the center is calibrated by a pot between the wiper and ground.

If this doesn't shut the audiophools up I gave up. This is a solid design and the phase problems are non existent.

Like I said it has been done, but it was some obscure tech type place up in bumfuct up north land, like Sweden or something. I shouldn't say that, because they are pretty good craftsmen. So what.

I can't really explain the whole theory of the thing without a print, so I am going to do that and throw it in here. I'll start now.

Reply to
jurb6006

Before you go too far, you might try posting a circuit diagram of some sort. Sounds like some ascii art is in order as it appears to be a fairly simple circuit to draw.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

see tonestack

makolber

"

Looks like something in a guitar amp.

Reply to
jurb6006

I can't do ASCII. I'll make a representation in LT just to get the idea out there. Of course it will never simulate but...

Reply to
jurb6006