what fell off my pcboard/can I just jumper it

This is a little wirewound gizmo, four terminals and two pairs of thin enameled wires, inline with pin 2 and 3 (tx and rx) of a mini b usb port.

They are wound around a square core.

fuses? chokes?

little like no fecking way can I solder it back on, can I jumper the pads?

Reply to
unk

Matching transformer.

Reply to
Long Hair

nope, it is just a common mode choke, it'll work just fine with out it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Four terminals. Not a choke. Two coils same core means, by definition, a transformer, even if the turns counts are equal.

Reply to
Long Hair

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Wrong again, always wrong. Perfect record.

Reply to
tom

definition, a transformer, even if the turns counts are equal"

You've never seen a line choke ? The leads of the AC power go through each winding, and the transformer action helps it to block common mode high frequency noise.

It is 4 terminals and not used as a transformer. The turns ratio is 1 : 1.

Damn near anything with a SMPS has one.

Reply to
jurb6006

That sure looks like it; except mine only has about 5 turns each, and those in the pic have a lot more.

If I jumper the pads, and use a good usb cable with a ferrite bead, it should work, right?

Reply to
unk

Really, AlwaysWrong, how can you have *such* a perfect record of being wrong.

Reply to
krw

It should work fine but it may interfere with radios, and such. It's there to pass EMI specifications.

Reply to
krw

It is there to cancel crosstalk, dipshit.

Reply to
Long Hair

no it is not, from the USB specification;

..

  1. A common mode (CM) choke should be used to terminate the high speed USB bus if they are need to pass EMI testing. Place the CM choke as close as possible to the connector pins. See Section 5.1 for details.

Note: Common mode chokes degrade signal quality, thus they should only be used if EMI is a known problem.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Wrong again, AlwaysWrong. You are perfectly wrong. Impressive!

Reply to
krw

You don't know much do you ? But you think you do. Crosstalk to what brainiac ?

Hey Einstein, it is there to keep the USB wire from becoming an antenna and radiating RF. If you call that crosstalk, what do they call a volt on your planet Mr. Spock ?

What's more you are so smart and mature you think calling people who correct you names. Your credibility is in the negative on this one dude.

so it is a transformer there to reduce crosstalk. OK, do you work for the government ? You got your degree in basketweaving ? Your busy season is coming - Easter !

Stay away form sci.electronics.basics, we don't need another generation or recalls, refits and really f***ed up engineering. Maybe you should try one of those solutions manuals, or is that how you "learned" ?

k is not the dipshit here. There is one. Can you guess who ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Methinkst you f***ed up that quote, it makes it look like you are calling DecadentL wrong. We know better but if we didn't...

Reply to
jurb6006

Where do you think crosstalk comes from?

Reply to
Long Hair

Something else, AlwaysWrong. The CM choke is there to eliminate COMMON (even) MODE noise. Common mode noise is *NOT* crosstalk. You're still perfectly always wrong, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw