What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

The documentation seems to be otherwise very good, but I cannot find the
answer
to this very basic question. I'd like to rebase my project onto Zynq
and the most promising module right now is Mars ZX2 in the extended
temperature range version:

https://www.enclustra.com/en/products/system-on-chip-modules/mars-zx2/

So OK, I obviously need the module itself, an SO-DIMM socket equipped
breadboard, some power supply and Vivado. But I can't find how to
connect the module to the PC in order to upload the bitstream. Could
you please tell me:

1. what is the minimal setup enough to do start with the module?
2. what is needed to make it convenient, especially in the context of
debugging?

Zynq seems to be very different compared to an ordinary FPGA, which
usually implied a dedicated programming cable with JTAG. There seems
to be a hardcoded bootloader which always starts and then configures
the FPGA part. Is then an UART dongle enough?

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

what is special about a Zynq is that it is an ARM cpu first and an FPGA second

it boots up like any other cpu, from either qspi or sdcard, and the bootloader or later the software running can then load the FPGA with a bitfile. if you don't load the fpga you just have an ARM cpu.

easy place to start is a board with ethernet and sdcard a uart terminal will work but you need some way to transfer data

http://svenand.blogdrive.com/ is a place to start

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

My goal is to work from the beginning with the target module, as the
beefy development kits quickly become more a problem than a solution
due to the existing pin assignments. Another goal is to achieve full
ISP quickly, preferably via ethernet.

 > http://svenand.blogdrive.com/ is a place to start

Thanks, Lasse, very informative. But this is worrying:

http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/172.html

1. Connect the power cable to the ZedBoard
2. Connect two micro-USB cables between the host computer
    and the ZedBoard connectors J17 (JTAG) and J14 (UART)

So they use some form of a JTAG and the JTAG is provided by
an additional circuit/MCU on the Zedboard? So in the case of Mars
would I need this too?

https://www.enclustra.com/en/products/base-boards/mars-eb1/

I don't want that. Mars has both ethernet and USB PHYs (just without the
transformers/connectors, which is not a big problem, in fact it is an
advantage in my case). So I still have no idea how to connect a fresh
Mars to my PC without the fancy base board.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

I think usually the fpga pins go to connectors, the pins that are pre assigned are the ones that you cannot move anyway because they are dedicated to the cpu
for memory/ethernet/usb/etc.

that is how it is on the uZed

the easiest way is to have an SD card connector then you just boot off
an sdcard and don't need the jtag, I think you can boot off usb but I've
never tried. Without an SD card you'd need some way to program the qspi probably jtag

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:40:22 +0100, Piotr Wyderski

We started with the MicroZed board, and actually used the board in a
couple of low-quantity products.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1628l38dgxio5sm/ASP_SN1_top.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7esnuywis170vhl/P350_SN1.JPG?raw=1

The uZed runs Linux at powerup, and comes with the software tools, so
that got us going. We now have some designs with the ZYNQ chip on our
board, and it was helpful to have the uZed schematic and layout as a
reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkiijc2ravj2rkh/Zynq_P5.JPG?raw=1

That boots everything off the SD card, and we have a JTAG connector
for debugging. It boots Linux in about 1 second. It worked first try,
SD and DRAM and all, which was sort of shocking.

We're looking at the Microsemi chips for lower-end products. They have
some cheaper FPGA chips with a single M3 ARM.

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

Unfortunately, even the smallest Zed is way too big for my purposes
and its connectors' placement is a total no-go. I can afford only
an SODIMM form factor and even then only in the vertical position.
This excludes all the Trenz modules and so it seems that the Enclustra
products are the only choice. I don't want to buy that base board,
I just see no point in that. An external JTAG would be OK, but then
what would be good for Vivado/Zynq?

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 22:19:03 +0100, Piotr Wyderski

Do you want to buy a module? Or might you just plop a ZYNQ chip onto
your PC board?

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

I'd prefer to have a custom-built board for that purpose, but Lasse
once told me that it would require ~10 layers and I have no tools to
solder the chip (reliably!), so the module is the only option.
But I don't want to "play" with the Zynq, the principal functionality
is well-defined and already implemented on a PSOC5LP chip, so I don't
want to buy the baseboard. I have an old Cyclone evaluation board for
checking ideas.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?

even if you can't or don't want to use a base board or a module like uZed,
it is going to be much much easier to start there

Re: What exactly is needed to start with Zynq?
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 23:04:51 +0100, Piotr Wyderski

Some of the Microsemi SOCs come in leaded packages.