What does this mean "White Goods" ?

Once again, Maynard plonks someone who has proved him wrong.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Doesn't that mean he's now plonked everyone on the planet?

Reply to
krw

?borism_void snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca?

? snipped-for-privacy@example.net.>> ?? ?? ?

because

Every

~$1K to

I wish I had natural gas, but it's a new neighborhood and it's nowhere close. The tank is on the opposite end of the house from the driveway. Sorta dumb since they have to run the hose from the street or sneak into the neighbor's driveway.

Reply to
krw

Not yet, but he's plonked most of Usenet. Then all he will have is the newbies to harass with his ignorance.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I take it a very slow fan, while preventing stratification of the air, doesn't move enough heat out of the cookie pan to prevent the bottoms from burning?

(I've always been surprised just how air forced-convection ovens use...)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Our Whirlpool Gold oven (gas) was a real lemon. At the end, it refused to light, which meant a several hundred dollar repair. Instead, we went down to Kmart, and bought a desktop convection oven. It is big enough for a small turkey, and we like it a lot. Only real problem is that when on the convection setting, for things like muffins and cookies, both the top and bottom elements heat up, and it tends to overcook the tops, leaving the centers not cooked yet!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Try cranking the heat down by the canonical 25 degrees. It's a bit of a wrench dialing in 325, but it avoids that problem!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Or get a DACOR ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It isn't just stratification, it's exactly like a heat sink only backwards. The evaporating water and relatively large thermal mass of the food cools down the immediately surrounding air.

Fourier's law of heat conduction says that the rate of heating depends on the local thermal gradient at the surface, so by really stirring the air, you (a) cool down that cookie sheet that's sitting directly over the element, (b) warm up the air in the boundary layer around that roast, so that it cooks faster and (especially) caramelizes better, and (c) make sure that everything in the oven is at almost exactly the same temperature, including the temperature sensor.

Before having one, I didn't realize just how much better they were. Last summer, as we were preparing to re-do our kitchen, my collected womenfolk went down to the Ikea in Brooklyn, and got a $1500 dual oven (convection on top, regular on the bottom) for $500. We wouldn't have done it otherwise, but wow, what a difference in the food.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Gotcha.

So is there much real justification for the price difference other than perhaps low manufacturing quantities? -- It sure seems as though adding a blower shouldn't double the price of an oven!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Keeping the bearings and stuff working through some hundreds of 600F cleaning cycles probably needs a bit more thought than e.g. a dustbuster.

On the other hand, calculating the improved food in terms of how many restaurant meals it takes to get there makes it seem pretty cheap.

(Of course there's the cholesterol meds to add in there....)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Fair enough.

I was hoping that George Foreman grill would make any burger healthy...

Thanks for the information,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

opposite

Ok, jim, I'll bite.

What the heck is a DACOR?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

the

opposite

Bake/Broil/Convection Bake/Convection Broil/Pure Convection/Self-Cleaning/Meat Probe plus Food/Plate Warmer at the bottom....

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The stove is great. I'm still reserving judgement on the dishwasher. It's insanely quiet, but it doesn't clean as well as the old noisy Maytag. We've also had it detect some sort of internal water leak, whereupon it shuts down until the water in the catch basin underneath finally evaporates.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

We've had the dishwasher for a couple of years (the first one to be replaced). We really like it. We've never had a problem with it cleaning (likely water has a lot to do with it) and the layout is great. We did have one error indicator that wasn't documented *anywhere*. Even the service people didn't know what it meant and sent a tech out. It turned out to be an empty water conditioner reservoir. ;-)

Reply to
krw