What does this mean "White Goods" ?

It's interesting that a "white sale" isn't (usually) about "white goods".

Reply to
krw

For heaven's sake, don't switch your oven to gas if it's electric now--you'll regret it. Gas ovens produce a lot of water, which makes pastry and bread tough, and meat doesn't roast as well because the outside can't dry enough to brown the way it does in an electric.

The ideal thing (which we've wanted for years and finally got last summer) is an electric convection oven and a gas cooktop--dry baking and fast control.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

motors wit hbrushes,

We presently have a Miele dishwasher. Best cleaning (and quietest) dishwasher we've ever owned. Love their approach to silverware "basketing". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

They told me the same thing. I put it in myself for about $150 without going around the house. The inspector was really pissed, because it passed both the mechanical and leak tests on the first visit.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I plumbed a pool heater, with about a 100' run of 3" coated pipe. Passed inspection first visit.

But I cheated, I borrowed a trencher from my neighbor the Rainbird contractor... cut a 6" wide trench 18" deep in about 2 hours ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This was through three feet of hard packed dirt & gravel that was so hard a pick bounced off of it. It was under the driveway of a 100+ year old house. It was almost four feet deep, and they wanted six inches of sand over the pipe when it was back filled. I filled all but the last six inches with sand, to make it easy to find, in the future. I used over a half dump truck of sand.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dual fuel. Gas cooktop, electric oven; best of both worlds. Not that that matters much since we make bread in a bread maker. ;-)

krw

Not really much choice. The house is in the way. ;-)

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:52:33 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

motors wit hbrushes,

The old one is a Zanussi from 1983, I did put a PIC micro in it now, probably could run some longer, but the frame is beginning to fall apart. No brushes. Brushes = RFI, interference, even a little desktop USB fan with a DC motor that has brushes causes bit errors on my satellite reception. Then sparks go al the way to GHz.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I was wondering how a "convection oven" was any different from any plain ol' ordinary oven - ANY oven is a convection oven[1]. It turns out that the "convection ovens" are actually _forced air_ ovens[2], which is the opposite of what's really going on.

Why do they do that?

[1] If you're under 40 and went to public school, you might have to look up "convection." [2] They've got a fan inside.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Because the accepted term is 'white goods'... Geeze, Phil is right about you. Who wants to say "washers, driers, dish washers, refridgerators..." when you can say 'white goods'?

Reply to
PeterD

Natural convection is driven by buoyancy. A domestic oven works at nearly constant air pressure, so the density of the air goes like 1/T.

(The ideal gas law is PV = NkT, where N is the number of molecules and k is Boltzmann's constant, so for fixed pressure and volume, the number of molecules in the volume goes as 1/T.)

So we've now proven that hot air rises. ;)

There's also lots of radiative transport, because of the very hot elements in the bottom of the oven, which is why your cookies burn if you put them on the bottom shelf. Driving rapid air circulation cools off the too-hot bits just as with a heat sink, and prevents stratification of the air. For the same reason, it probably makes the temperature sensor a bit more accurate too--you usually drop the temperature about 25 degrees from what the recipe specifies.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's forced convection, not natural convection. Natural convection happens because of gravity and density changes in air with temperature. Forced convection, in this case, involves a fan.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In my case they literally meant, 'Around the house' as in 95% of the way around.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We've got one of those too. Quite a good unit.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

We're in the process of replacing all the contractor-grade crap in the kitchen with Electrolux. I just replaced the microwave last weekend and the stove is the last one to go.

Reply to
krw

because

Oh. That's different. Our tank is on the opposite end of the house, where the pipe for the fireplace was plumbed out (builder should have put it in the opposite side, but there are no interior walls inbetween to run it through.

Reply to
krw

Jamie is a FUCKWIT RADIO HAM !!!!!!!

( Real ID = Maynard A. Philbrook, KA1LPH )

** Piss off straight into HELL

you FUCKWIT AUTISTIC RETARD

Reply to
Phil Allison

No, I didn't know what it pertained to, in the context of what I was looking at. Of course, you wouldn't know that because you're a day late and a dollar short, like most idiots that open mouth and insert foot!

And I don't care what Phil says about me or any one else for that matter. You can join him and be just as ignorant of a fool.

From your response, you appear to be one of those audio phools.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

?borism_void snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca?

? snipped-for-privacy@example.net.> ?? ?? ?

because

Every

~$1K to

No tank. My house had a natural gas drop, in the middle of the driveway. The furnace was 20.5 feet from the front of the house. they wanted it run all the way around the house, to leave the meter in it's old location, in the right edge of the driveway. i moved it to the front of the house, which was about 10 feet forward, and three feet to the right. That eliminated the need to go around the house, but to repair the gas line, I was required to move the water line so that it was three feet away from the gas line, even though the originals were installed in the same trench, about 8" apart.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell