What do you call.... (type of switch)?

What do you call the following type of switch? And where can you get some?

I will do my best to explain it. I don't have a picture of one because I can't find it on the Internet.

The switch consists of two stiff, formed wires in a plastic housing intende d for thru-hole PCB use.

The first wire comes straight up and has an inverted J-hook at its end. The second wire is about 3/8" away and is "springy".

When the second wire is pushed down and under the J-hook of the first wire, the contact is closed. Otherwise, it is stiff enough to "ride" above the J-hook by a pretty good distance (at least 1/4"), which is enough to ensure an open circuit. You have to deliberatly engage the two wires to meet (vi a the the J-hook) in order to close the circuit.

I vaguely recall seeing one of these on a commercial burglar or fire panel many years ago, but I can't recall which one(s). The switch was used to pu t the panel in program mode, I think? Thanks!!

Reply to
mpm

ded for thru-hole PCB use.

e, the contact is closed. Otherwise, it is stiff enough to "ride" above th e J-hook by a pretty good distance (at least 1/4"), which is enough to ensu re an open circuit. You have to deliberatly engage the two wires to meet ( via the the J-hook) in order to close the circuit.

l many years ago, but I can't recall which one(s). The switch was used to put the panel in program mode, I think? Thanks!!

google says "DIP-FIX" but obsolete and discontinued

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Didn't some one just ask about this a few months ago? Telco stuff I recall.

Martin Riddle

I hope it wasn't me!! :) Unlikely. But then, how would one know if they were starting to lose it?

I'm going to Google DIP-FIX and see if that's it. I've never heard that term, so maybe...?? Fingers crossed.

I don't plan on using one; I just want to know!

Reply to
mpm

Thanks Lasse, That's it.

mpm

It may have been me. I've spend many hours looking for them.

They appear on 2 or 3 big vendors catalogs but are all discontinued.

Reply to
Trumble

If you are looking for that exact part some of the surplus houses may have it in stock - Electronic Goldmine, and Surplus Electronics come to mind.

John

Reply to
John Robertson