what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

Ok, so, after careful consideration, I decided on using the recommended
50/50 mixture of beeswax and rosin to pot my two transformers.  However,
to save costs, I was originally going to try using a smaller housing,
which would use 2 lbs of wax-rosin mix instead of the 6 lbs I would have
originally needed, but instead of switching out the housings for a
smaller one, is there something I can place inside the existing housing
that's cheap, would also serve as an insulator like the wax will, and
won't be burned or melted by the wax pour?  The same idea as using extra
stones or bricks in a toilet fill tank so it doesn't use as much water.
Thanks!

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

Marbles?

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

If you keep the temperature of your beeswax/rosin mixture down paraffin sho
uld work well.  ;)

Does your transformer get hot at all?  To the best of my knowledge rosin ne

ng to end up sitting in another liquid bath?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?
r,
ve
ra
.
 should work well.  ;)

er going to end up sitting in another liquid bath?

I've changed my mind.  A quick call to Adtech and found out that their
low temp glue sticks, which I can easily obtain locally, are EVA and
melt at 179F.

So, it's back to my original paraffin and mixing in of the glue.  Not
sure how much glue I need to add per pound, however, so may have to
experiment on small amounts first.

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?
r,
ve
ra
.
 should work well.  ;)

 going to end up sitting in another liquid bath?

I've lost track of what is mixed with what.  Why paraffin over beeswax and
vice versa?  Why one adulterant over the other?  Aren't there four combinat
ions rather than just two?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

But those won't be wasted.  Just keep track of the amounts and once you
finalize a recipe do the math to add all those in plus whatever you
calculate for glue and paraffin so the final mix is what you want.

Carl Ijames

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

,

hould work well.  ;)

oing to end up sitting in another liquid bath?

Rosin is notorious for going hard & brittle. Hence rosin based glues are no
rmally fibre reinforced to reduce the resulting breakage.

NT

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

Glass marbles sounds good, and also consider ceramic tumbling media (available
in a variety of shapes, depending on how your spaces are arranged).   Typical
purchases of those stones are by the hundredweight, and glass beads are among the
options.

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

I was going to suggest glass marbles, but youbeat me to it.

Cheers

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

In the same vein, one can buy glass beads used for sandblasting in bulk for
small dollars.

Use of glass filler will tend to rain the dielectric constant. Glass is 5 to
10, while beeswax is 2.4 and rosin is about 2.8, so glass fill will increase

this is important in the present application.

Joe Gwinn

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

Could tumbling media contain water? How about silica gel for ballast?

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

dry washed sand.

put some regular sand in a bucket an rinse out the crud by plunging a hose
into it and running a lots of water through it.

Then dry it in metal or glass dish in a oven.

Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?

,

If you are trying to isolate high voltage, surface is not your friend.  Whe
n you talk about washed sand, I don't know if you can ever really get it so
 clean.  It's better to use larger pieces with more of the filler in betwee
n.  At least it is if you have better control over surface contamination.

I don't think I would use any filler.  Seems to me it defeats the point of
using the encapsulant in the first place.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: what can I use as a empty space "filler" in wax potted circuit?
Ultimately, I have "given in" and gone back to the mineral oil I had
used in the device for years.  However, this time I'm using a junction
box around 60% of the original's size after first checking the insides
to make sure it was all one piece.  I believe the tiny leaks from the
prior one stemmed from four spots within the box where there had been a
prior resin pour.  You never notice something like this when buying
them, but I believe the mineral oil seeped through these tiny areas over
time.  It took about 8 years!  I suppose I could have just siliconed
over or epoxied these four areas before refilling, but went with a
smaller box that appeared to be a single pour one piece mold.  Time will
tell.

Thanks again for all the help regarding wax.  I just didn't like the
shrinkage I saw after cooling plus the fact that this circuit could
easily start warming up if used for a short time.  I think there might
be potential in the paraffin- EVA glue stick method, but someone else
will have to find out what ratios work.

Site Timeline