What Am I Going to Do With All This Iron ?

I have these amps, they are fried. Well one is not but it has corroded circ uit boards so I am not even going to try to fix it.

But they have some heavy duty transformers and power supplies. What can be done ? Should I figure out a switching regulator and make a power supply ? I have one I use for a power supply but it is unregulated so I use a variac with it. I used it to power up an old field radio from WW2 or something my buddy brought over, needed 90 volts. Across the rails it puts out about 12

0 but I used the variac to cut it down to the voltage the radio called for for the B battery. I forget where we got the filament voltage though.

Anyway, I just don't want to see all this in the landfill. The landfills ar e getting full here.

Anyone need like 140 volts at 8 amps for a project ? Don't put that into on e of those hydrogen separators, it is likely to blow up in your face. Well, unless you build a big one.

Except for audio, I don't see the need for that much voltage and current. W hat else can use it ? It would be a dandy to watch it charge your cellphone . You'll really know what it's made of.

I can build regulators for it, but even to troubleshoot an amp all you need is the old dim bulb tester, and possibly a variac. Use its own power suppl y. If its own power supply is fried then fix it.

I really hate to take this stuff to the scrapyard.

Is there ANYTHING out there that needs that type of power supply ? Or shoul d I just scrap it all ? And they don't give all that much, I wonder if it w ould be worth the gas to get there. I might just throw it out. I really wou ld rather not waste it like that.

Reply to
jurb6006

So do I.

The way I see it is, if the trannies are high quality ones made in England or whatever, *don't* scrap 'em. It would be a crime to. On the other hand, if they come from China, just dump them without a second thought. I have a pile of old English trannies here. They're just *fabulous* quality I can't adequately describe it here. I can't bear to scrap them so they'll probably just die with me.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

e done ?

one of those hydrogen separators, it is likely to blow up in your face. Wel l, unless you build a big one.

uld I just scrap it all ? And they don't give all that much, I wonder if it would be worth the gas to get there. I might just throw it out. I really w ould rather not waste it like that.

You might give people an idea of where you are located.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

He's in Ohio.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

We use lots of kW supplies at the Institute, in various projects, various voltage ranges. To keep size and weight down, we use Xantrex / Sorenson XFR, XHR types. And 300-watt HPD types. To keep the cost down, we use eBay.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well, no problem then...it's the "rust belt"...self curing problem for excess iron!

Reply to
Bill Martin

rcuit boards so I am not even going to try to fix it.

e done ? Should I figure out a switching regulator and make a power supply ? I have one I use for a power supply but it is unregulated so I use a vari ac with it. I used it to power up an old field radio from WW2 or something my buddy brought over, needed 90 volts. Across the rails it puts out about

120 but I used the variac to cut it down to the voltage the radio called fo r for the B battery. I forget where we got the filament voltage though.

are getting full here.

one of those hydrogen separators, it is likely to blow up in your face. Wel l, unless you build a big one.

What else can use it ? It would be a dandy to watch it charge your cellpho ne. You'll really know what it's made of.

ed is the old dim bulb tester, and possibly a variac. Use its own power sup ply. If its own power supply is fried then fix it.

uld I just scrap it all ? And they don't give all that much, I wonder if it would be worth the gas to get there. I might just throw it out. I really w ould rather not waste it like that.

???

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

circuit boards so I am not even going to try to fix it.

be done ? Should I figure out a switching regulator and make a power suppl y ? I have one I use for a power supply but it is unregulated so I use a va riac with it. I used it to power up an old field radio from WW2 or somethin g my buddy brought over, needed 90 volts. Across the rails it puts out abou t 120 but I used the variac to cut it down to the voltage the radio called for for the B battery. I forget where we got the filament voltage though.

s are getting full here.

o one of those hydrogen separators, it is likely to blow up in your face. W ell, unless you build a big one.

t. What else can use it ? It would be a dandy to watch it charge your cellp hone. You'll really know what it's made of.

need is the old dim bulb tester, and possibly a variac. Use its own power s upply. If its own power supply is fried then fix it.

hould I just scrap it all ? And they don't give all that much, I wonder if it would be worth the gas to get there. I might just throw it out. I really would rather not waste it like that.

Sorry, I am not doing that.

Reply to
jurb6006

We wish. Damn thing will just rust on the outside and not completely disint egrate which leaves us with a bunch of bulk that is useless. If you had a t en pound transformer (many of mine are alot heavier than that) after it rus ts you got ten pounds of scrap metal. Saw the copper off and be done with i t once the insulation breaks down.

Reply to
jurb6006

An indispensable, must-have gadget for anyone who needs to weld washers to coat-hangers.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What about for audio work: power amp to speaker?

Robert Baer

For audio work: matching xfmr from power stage to speakers.

Robert Baer

[...]

When all else fails, offer it to whoever can come up with the best use for it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Does anyone actually do that any more these days? These are mostly HV types suitable for valve (toob) PAs. Like 240V primaries; 4000V secondaries at 100mA or whatever. So just the job for QRO-obsessed hams. :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Door stop?

Reply to