WEIRD SCIENCE salon, misc. surplus finds

Our monthly group brings in interesting finds from online. Here's a few r ecent ones still on sale.

Cheap 90V 2HP DC PM motor $39. Not $300!! Finally get around to putting v ariable speed on your drillpress or small lathe. Coilwinding, circle cutti ng, or entry-level wind turbine. (drive it with an old Dart 125-type speed ctrl module, perhaps a footpedal pot.)

At last I can stock up on NE-2s again. My giant bag was depleted.

.aspx
&products_id=23 even BLUE neon (blue phosphor inside.)

Giant toroid cheap. Make a tiny science-fair Tesla induction motor? Power chokes for kilowatt triac dimmers, diy classroom transformers and crackpot vector-potential experiments. #26 powder iron code yellow/white, 1.4mH, ha lf a KG. $3.50

The $1.00/g price for liquid Gallium plummeted! Six bucks for a 30g vial! DOH, it immediately went back up to $15. Ah, back down to $7 again. The g allium-sellers all suddenly vanished off eBay? It's on Amazon. Make liquid metal sliding contacts, Faraday HPG motor or kilo-amp dynamos, submarine M HD engines. Meters-wide spun-epoxy solar furnace or Newtonian scope? A bi g mess, stains skin and clothing. Squeeze it together with a chilled indiu m ingot to self-mix some eutectic room-temp liquid alloy.

$21 / 100g

Cheap wideband power-RF: 1, 7, 20 watt linear amps for 0-200MHz, 144, 1290 MHz, 23cm ham band. These are Motorola cable-tv network amplifier modules, on eBay as MHW612, MHW607-1, CA2830C, CA2818C, CA5800C, MHW1815, MHW1915

-mhw1815-1915-mods-23cm

Silver ink for half price. Should be $30/8g, not $15/8g (two pens.) To ac cess the ink, backwards-unscrew the blue pen body, pry out the white plasti c/spring assy. Shake well first (steel shaker-balls inside.) Ink dilutes with xylene. Use for attaching leads to platinum surfaces or PZT transduce rs or ITO electrodes, pcb repairs, add shielding to pcb, draw antennas or e lectrodes on plastic and glass, etc. Broken car-window heaters live once m ore. Hidden conductors along the edges of your Daedalus Dreadco fake perpe tual motion machines.

0037-2-14-95.aspx

$8 Strobe-droplets fluid pump at Goldmine. Usually the famous "strobe fou ntain" device with backwards-falling water droplets employs a Goreman-Rupp oscillating chemical-pump for $150 each. Produces 60Hz falling droplets. These pumps below are $8 (or, sometimes on sale.) But they're 230VAC, not

120VAC. They stop working if below 140VAC or so. Also, the internal part s on some are stuck, so disassemble and free up the spring-valve and moving core (don't lose the tiny spring!)

"Desert Glass" is all the rage. Ancient impactor: a light so bright that a portion of the Sahara desert melted inches deep and flowed downhill. It's greenish like non-radioactive Trinitite fragments, King Tut's breastplate scarab. "Libyan obsidian," used for ancient knapped tools. Tiny hunks on eBay for about five bucks. Now waiting for someone to fake it with electri c furnace and Libyan sand, sell some for $500/KG.

Thermal camera experiments, germanium lenses way too expensive. Try ZnSe le nses, amazingly cheap from the CO2 laser industry. They don't block sunlig ht; just add a piece of vis-opaque silicon wafer.

Attain a DC megavolt? Microwave oven rectifiers now at $0.20 cents! Perha ps a volt-multiplier ladder, 20KV per stage, inside an oil-filled pipe. Als o find 100nS fast rectifiers, if you want 100KHz high-watts drive instead o f feeble 60Hz. HVM-12 12KV 350mA

HVR-1X3 12KV 500mA

2CL2FM 20KV 100mA
CL01-12 12KV 350mA fast 100nS
&_sop=15 Ceramic caps too:
_sop=15

To go with voltage multipler, here's a source of large N. Tesla posters (It aly)

r&submit=Search

But the giant 6ft cardboard Nikola Tesla is out of stock! Darn.

(((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) )))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty

beaty, chem washington edu Research Engineer billb, amasci UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 x3-6195 Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700

Reply to
Bill Beaty

We demo'd a prototype thermal imager but it won't focus close on electronics.

(The case was probably 3D printed. Feels gritty.)

Most imagers won't focus close; the threshold for that is around $5K. A cheap lens in front of a cheap imager would be interesting.

Our mega-FLIR is great but cost more than a small Toyota. The germanium lens was a couple of kilobucks.

lunatic fringe electronics

Bought one, 20mm dia, 38.1mmFL, I'll try it on my cheap Raytheon TSC.

I dunno if these have significant chromatic abberation, since they're intended for single-wavelength laser cutting/etching.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Chris Jones

Yay! Works.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

A few more interesting components etc.:

EM80 "Eye tubes" are pretty cool, five bucks to demo the visible electron optics, magnetic effects. A thin metal vane in the hard vacuum makes an electron-shadow on a phosphor screen. Then electrically charge the vane! Negative polarity expands the shadow, positive turns it inside-out, and magnets give weird topology, even focussing and magnetic bottle effects. Make an electron-beam DC voltmeter? Kinetic sculpture: get a bunch and feed them slow sines or ramp waveforms. Cheap russian EM-80 tubes, works OK on 160VDC (rectified 120AC,) and filament 6.3V.

"Aerospace bondo, jbweld," for spacecraft dent-patching? Meets NASA outgassing regs: HYSOL 1C, forty bucks for a

4oz tube. But if you search "loctite 1373425", some places have it for only $9. We use it in vac chamber fittings, rather than having to do TIG welding. 250F. If you need hotter, see the list

MERTHIOLATE! Get some thimerosal to repel the anti-vaxx, keep all your vaccines shiny and chrome. Our old 1st-aid kit at work has an odd mercury-based antiseptic. That red stuff totally wipes out infection on small cuts, fungal. Also they're going to have to pry my 63/37 solder out of my cold dead fingers, also my mercury-wetted reeds and my favorite slab of Transite. And my thimerosal. Still being sold in Thailand, on ebay

Here's that $20 KNF corp. two-stage diaphragm pump on eBay. These things normally run $300-$500. Motor spins OK, but the metal against the rubber diaphragms is very crusty, looks like photo chemicals or alkaline. The dream is to buy two, clean them up, hook the hoses in series for a four-stage 30-micron vacuum, no oil needed. But the aluminum internal surface might be too corroded, not clean-able