Way OT. Reduced to carbon

My wife burned something in a nice SS pan and now has a black coating on the inside of the pan. She has ask me if I can save the pan. Any chemistry that will remove carbon from the pan?

2 hours of elbow grease would work but I'm not interested in that.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I'd try a razor blade scrapper for cleaning things like that. Maybe with a bit of heat?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Now that I'm chief cook and bottle washer, I have a similar problem... pot boiled over and I have a baked-on glaze on the bottom... doesn't even budge with Brillo :-( ...Jim Thompson

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:21:28 -0600, amdx Gave us:

It is stainless. Use an abrasive and re-polish it. Work your way down in grit until you get the desired finish.

Start with 120 grit emory and work toward a well worn 400 grit for a NFS approved #6 finish.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:04:27 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Funny.... "chief cook" and "baked-on glaze" do not go together.

Have some more wine, drunken feeb.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Nitric?

No, on second thoughts, perhaps not.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:14:52 +0000, Adrian Caspersz Gave us:

Go ahead. Put some in your Donald Trump Kool-Aid.

Or better yet, mix up some of Jim Jones' Kool-Aid and add it in "for a little heat".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Burn it off, red heat will do it.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Den torsdag den 10. marts 2016 kl. 15.21.40 UTC+1 skrev amdx:

oven cleaner or if you don't want to pay for the fancy label, caustic soda

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Fill it with bleach and heat to boiling point. Don't breath the fumes!.

--
Saludos
Reply to

I was thinking that myself... just coat the pan, place in oven. ...Jim Thompson

I second that. It works in ovens, so should work in your pan. You may need to heat it to work more quickly.

This is the same stuff used in drain cleaner.

--

Rick
Reply to

My wife burned something in a nice SS pan and now has a black coating on the inside of the pan. She has ask me if I can save the pan. Any chemistry that will remove carbon from the pan?

2 hours of elbow grease would work but I'm not interested in that.

Mikek =======================================================================

I would start with oven cleaner, as others have suggested. You can warm the pan with hot water, dry, then apply the cleaner and just let it soak, you don't have to bake it in an oven. Cooler works, it just takes longer; if you do heat the pan in an oven be sure the handles are oven safe. DO NOT use bleach as someone suggested unless you want the pan to start rusting, chlorides attack 300 series stainless. Never put bleach in a stainless steel sink, either, and if you do rinse and rinse and rinse and ... Don't use drain cleaner, either, without reading the label - yes, most are lye, sodium hydroxide, based like oven cleaners but most also include bleach, sodium hypochlorite, and you are back to winning the battle with carbon but losing the war to future rust and pitting. If you have scratched it up with abrasives or scraping it is best to polish it back to smooth and shiny just to inhibit food from sticking in the future. You can burn the carbon off but you have to go as hot as a self-cleaning oven (550+ F), which is hot enough to start bluing the stainless so I wouldn't.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:17:32 -0500, "Carl Ijames" Gave us:

Oh yeah, man! Blued stainless loses all its stick-free ness. Makes it look like you've been down at the drag strip, man!

Sheesh.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sure is a lot of %&^$ under the kitchen sink, even found some oven cleaner. The pan is doing a ten minute soak, I warmed it on the stove top, then sprayed it outside. Gee, if this works I might even clean the grill!

Mikek Rickman got the first copy, sorry, meant for the group.

Reply to
amdx

I've saved a couple of pots with a disk sander on an electric drill. 400 grit, then 800-1200 grit, then steel wool.

Super-heating a pot with laminated copper in the base tends to make it delaminate.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

OK, warmed pan, sprayed with oven cleaner, let set, wiped with paper towel. Looked like I scraped a little off. Resprayed and let set, Ran the paper towel around again and rinsed. It didn't look like I had any great success, took it inside and used a 3M #2 scotchbright on the sides, It came off with a little help, 5 minutes of elbow grease and it looks like new. So the oven cleaner does loosen and soften the carbon for an easier release. Now, what can I conquer next!

I have a fiberglass ice cooler, that has some areas that need repair. About every two years I need to fix and/or gel coat the cooler. Holds 300lbs of ice. I hate fiberglass.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Den torsdag den 10. marts 2016 kl. 17.36.33 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

I'm a bit more primitive with the ceramic stove top that gets the same burns on carbon. Get it wet, sprinkle on pellets of NaOH let it soak just don't be tempted to get it too hot NaOH will eat glass

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I've been known to put such things (the good kind with metal handles, plastic would be destroyed) in the oven on self-clean cycle. Just ash remains, no chemicals required.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Reminds me... years ago at Goodyear Aerospace I needed a photo and dimensions of a chip to get the layout done for a hybrid... vendor was slow getting us chips _and_ dimensional documentation.

So, on a lark, I ran a plastic packaged part thru a firing furnace.

Came out the other end a rectangular ash. I thought, crap, didn't work.

Dusted off the ash and found a perfectly preserved chip ;-) ...Jim Thompson