Way OT: "Press your thumbs" ~= "Keep your fingers crossed"

Heard the former used for the first time, today. Quickly surmised (from context) it to be roughly equivalent to the latter. But, what is the actual physical motion involved (in the former)?

I.e., are the two thumbs pressed against each other? (palms facing, fingers steepled? or, twisted: one up, the other down?)

Or, is each thumb "held captive" by the other fingers of that same hand (e.g., like an ASL 't')?

Or, something else?

Reply to
Don Y

Interesting, I'd never heard that before. Google will tell you.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Hello,

Le Thu, 22 Dec 2016 16:11:53 +0100, Clive Arthur =

a =E9crit:

nd

I think it is a literal translation of the german phrase "die Daumen =

dr=FCcken" Normally the index fingers (and the other fingers) are bent over the =

thumbs.

HTH and happy christmas from France.

Peter Greuter

-- =

my oldies at

Peter Greuter

Yes, I got confirmation of that -- and the "crossed fingers" analog -- from google. But, couldn't find a physical description of the gesture.

So, its like a fist with the thumbs tucked inside?

And, done with *both* hands simultaneously? E.g., "crossed fingers" doesn't require more than one hand's involvement.

It's also interesting (to me!) to note that the (USEnglish) "keep your fingers crossed" seems to imply that they're ALREADY crossed (or, "cross them and keep them that way") whereas the "press your thumbs" suggests you NOW perform that action (nor does it suggest you CONTINUE to perform it).

Thanks!

Et vous, Joyeux Noel!

Reply to
Don Y

I agree with Peter. It is commonly used in German. There seems to be two methods. One with the thumb inside the fist, and one with the thumb on top, onto the index finger:

Wikipedia suggests the former:

RoRo
Reply to
Robert Roland

In Scilab (and Matlab, too, I think), "~=" means "not equals", the same as "!=" means in C.

Since I use Scilab heavily, it took me until just now to get the sense of your title...

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested