Way off topic - quote mining

From the Wikipedia:.

"Quote mining is the practice of compiling quotes from large volumes of literature or spoken word. The term is used pejoratively to accuse the "quote miner" of contextomy and misquotation, where favorable positions are amplified or falsely suggested, and unfavorable positions in the same text are excluded or otherwise obscured."

"Contextomy?" that's a word?

After all the rhetoric from Bush and the so-called Christian Coalition, now Nancy Pelosi is wading in.

I Saw Nancy Pelosi on CSPANTV quoting the bible to say that we should be concerned for the environment. No argument there, but the same bible is what the president and corporations quote when they want to justify destroying the environment. And these are always (or almost always) Old Testament verses, even when the "Christian Coalition" spins politics they most often quote the OT. Why do you suppose that is? Could it be that the OT is so contradictory that it lends itself to spinning?

She's been under my radar screen, so I had to do some digging to see what other pearls she is casting. Nancy Pelosi is also working the bible for, civil rights/discrimination quotes, ethics reform, and a host of other applications Perhaps she's just fighting fire with fire? Work the bible into your act and people stop arguing?

This is troubling - we should be doing what is right, because it is the right thing to do, not what can be found in the bible or other religious source. I don't object to Pelosi or her policy, but when she uses the bible in a way to say "here it is in the BOOK, that ends the discussion" It is bad. Particularly when the same book can support opposing views if you cherry-pick the quotes. Koran seems to be working the same way.

Goes a long way to explaining how the world got so screwed up - people with an agenda using religion and unable to distinguish the two.

To quote Howard Armstrong " IT isn't what we don't know that causes all the problems in this world; It is what we do know that simply isn't so." Or something to that effect . . .

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Or to apply Grossman's misquote:

Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

"Stupid is as stupid does" -- which applies more to her audience than herself.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"There is always an easy solution to every...problem - neat, plausible, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

OT.

Yup. Just ignore the parts you don't like: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:y4MJjTJamuUJ:

Aaron Sorkin got hold of an idea that was floating around

and built the Dr Jenna Jacobs scene from it for "The West Wing": http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:BkFWJ5V8XIcJ:
*.*.daughter.into.slavery+working.on.*.Sabbath+burn.my.mother+wear.gloves+dead.pig+planting.different.crops.*.*.*.*.*+*.garments.*.from.*.different.threads+stone.my.brother+kill.him.myself It demonstrates that most biblical arguments are products of careful editting.

Reply to
JeffM

OT.

Love the links.

I think I was 6 or 7 barely able to read and reading the bible - only book in the house. "Hey Mom, how come Noah is supposed to save two of everything on one page and when the flood is over the first thing he does is sacrifice an animal to God? Did he save one just for that?"

Mom reminded me that I had to have faith, and faith was all about believing in things that didn't make sense because God tells us to, and you don't want to lose your faith because then you go to hell for all eternity.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:07:46 -0500 in sci.electronics.design, default wrote,

[snip]

If you know something's off topic, then DON'T POST it. Twit.

Reply to
David Harmon

But they never tell you which of the 30,000 gods is THE ONE.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Look idiot... the manifest said two of everything. Noah did his job.

When it came to the sacrifice everyone voted for one of the the hermaphrodites which was sort of misplaced insensitivety but it all worked out in the end.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Actually I posted it because people with brains visit this site and could appreciate it. Obviously, some others also visit the site; sorry to offend you.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Thus endeth the unicorn.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Just because you think you can argue a case for not being a twat by suggesting that other people are thick does not mean you should not take some time to apply your immense intelligence to discovering why you might be one.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Yeah, they do sort of - the Hebrews, Catholics, and Muslims all worship the same God as Abraham (you want irony?).

That would be "the one true God." Now, as Jews believe only they get to heaven, Catholics ditto, Muslims ditto, that raises a number of interesting philosophical conundrums. They all believe in the same God yet only some get to heaven for their beliefs.

I figure the "one true god" thing was a political move by the religion(s) - only one god and you don't have to worry about your power base being eroded by another Johnny (Goddy) come lately god showing up at an inopportune time. The hierarchy of angels might have been a ploy to make the OTG thing easier to swallow - Thor = Gabriel?

The Catholics came along and did away with most of the angels names and purposes - by then they'd already served their purpose making the transition from many to one God easier.

Gospel (theory) according to bob

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Well, applying logic...

  1. It took a little while to get all these animals together and loaded. didn't happen overnight, more like a year...

  1. The animals were male and female, and I don't think they were in separate cages...

  2. Some of the kosher animals are listed as having 7 of each...

There were more animals when they landed than when they began!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Isn't a rational reasoned discussion wonderful? Religion has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence - no matter which side of either fence one finds oneself on.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Why do the lurkers always seem to self-appoint themselves as group referees?

John

Oh, that makes sense - they were busy begetting - "The Love Boat."

Point 3 wasn't in my bible.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Probably not.

You might go find yourself before you tried it.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

And a shit load of shit.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

But even if there is such an aberrant creature, why on earth would it care what the hell we do? For all we know it wants us to go Old Testament - kill all the children, rape all the women and enslave all the men. Does it really care who eats pork?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson