Wanted 1kV 2A DC supply.

Hi

I'm looking for a commercially available 1kV @ 2A DC power supply. Adjustable, isolated output and single phase AC mains input 50/60Hz and

110/230V. Remote or computer control not needed, just a big knob to wind up the voltage. It will probably be incorporated into a rack-mount box and the eventual quantities are small, tens or maybe 100.

A UK supplier would be easiest.

I'm having problems finding something which does all this, particularly the single phase 110V combination, so while I'm looking, if anyone knows of a supplier, I'd be grateful for any hints. Where's Genome when you need him?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Have no idea where Genome is, or even Oppie. Havent seen post from them in a while.

1k @ 2A is sort of odd ball but I found this one...

CHeers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

FOrgot to mention , you may not find a 110VAC input at that power level.

Martin Riddle

Thanks, yes single phase 110V is a problem but also a requirement. The supply I have does it, but was custom made and no longer available. I wonder if I could parallel two 1kV 1A supplies or series two 500V 2A supplies, assuming I can find such.

But I'd rather buy a turnkey solution and concentrate on the less dangerous and litigious parts of the system.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 12:19:01 +0000, Syd Rumpo Gave us:

When you inquire about an HV DC supply, you need to also specify load type... capacitive, etc. and ripple figure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 04:52:56 -0800 (PST), Klaus Kragelund Gave us:

That appear to be not driven by a standard line voltage. I didn't look at the specs, but a 4U rack device doing over 2kW is a clue.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The load is mostly a motor controller at the end of a very long, very poor cable, so I guess it's more or less a resistive load, varying slowly. 1kV is needed to overcome cable ohmic losses which can be over half the supplied power. Ripple? Dunno, it's not like there's a big selection so far, so I'll work with what I can sensibly get.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 13:11:56 +0000, Syd Rumpo Gave us:

Sounds terrible.

If he is willing to buy such a supply, he should be willing to replace the cable with a nice SPC custom job that exhibits far less losses.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Contact Dominic Galuzzo at Gamma High Voltage in Ormand Beach Florida...

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Do you need 110/230, or 110-230? The former implies that a switch to adapt it to the mains voltage is acceptable, the latter not. If a switch is acceptable, you could put a step-up transformer in series of a converter from hvconcepts.com.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Even better if he could dig up his oil wells and set them up on a bench in a nice warm workshop.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Hi

I'm looking for a commercially available 1kV @ 2A DC power supply. Adjustable, isolated output and single phase AC mains input 50/60Hz and

110/230V. Remote or computer control not needed, just a big knob to wind up the voltage. It will probably be incorporated into a rack-mount box and the eventual quantities are small, tens or maybe 100.

A UK supplier would be easiest.

I'm having problems finding something which does all this, particularly the single phase 110V combination, so while I'm looking, if anyone knows of a supplier, I'd be grateful for any hints. Where's Genome when you need him?

Have a word with Telonic.

We buy our Kikusui PSUs from them.

JB

Reply to
JB

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:53:34 +0000, Syd Rumpo Gave us:

If he found a way to get "a motor" that far down a well (much less a

1.5kW+ unit), he could hoist it back up, put a proper cable on the thing or maybe even a more local power conversion unit, and put it back down there.

Call it modernization.

Or give up and dig a new well right next to it and start over completely. Heheheh.... NONE SHALL PASS!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why not one of the 220V to 1KV/2A power supplies that you have found, with a low cost 110V to 220V AC/AC 3KW converter if needed ? These converters, if a "commercial quality" is enough, cost less than 100Eur on Amazon...

Robert

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

600V 2A supplies (1.2kW) are fairly popular (from Xantrex / Sorenson, etc.), what about two of those in series?
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 4:19:03 AM UTC-8, Syd Rumpo wrote: ...

2kW is above the limit for normal 120V outlet, so I'm no surprised that there are few available.

The maximum current from a normal 120V outlet is 16A which gives only ~1900W.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93
120 AC in industrial service can have a 20 Amp breaker...

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

I can't speak to wiring standards outside of North America, but the generally available circuits around here are 15A (roughly 1500W), with a very few that can do 20A (roughly 2kW). You want up to 2kW _out_, so in the US you'd have a hard time finding a socket to plug the thing into.

Generally, in the US or Canada if you need that sort of power you get a

220V socket wired in.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

My self, I would simply pop in a single phase 1KV output transformer driven with a variac, rectifier and filter caps. Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook