Walmart suing Tesla for Solar panel fires

Here's the story without the whiney voice:

Don't all Tesla products catch fire?

Huh, putting tape over the hot spot made it worse... hotter. I wouldn't have thought of that.

So if you have a solar panel that is partially shaded, does the shaded part get hotter?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The limiting case is 100% shaded, namely in the dark.

You mean like GM, Ford, et. al? Yeah, put a lot of energy in a small conta iner and then run it into a wall and you get a lot of fires.

Why does no one talk about the truly disastrous fires that other energy sou rces have?

How about nuclear fires?

"The NRC estimates that the risk of reactor meltdown from fire hazards i s roughly equal to the meltdown risk from all other hazards combined. "

I've already talked about how the risk of core damage resulting in radiatio n leakage due to earthquake is not trivial. While the risk per reactor per year is small, the large number of reactors and the long lifespan of these reactors result in a significant chance of a serious accident. Now I see the chances of a reactor accidents due to fires are even greater!

Anyone actually paying attention to the realities or do they just like to g et themselves wound up over the "glamorous" stuff of the day. I guess some people only get their news from Yahoo.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Amazon rain forest catches fire and burns down when you let a Trump-buddy run Brazil.

If only we could offer Jeff Bezos up as a sacrifice in exchange for a few acres of it back

Reply to
bitrex

Fires are natural. Putting out fires is unnatural.

What don't you like about nature?

We have big fires in California even though almost all of the government is Democrats. Maybe because most are Democrats.

Reply to
jlarkin

The aging process is entirely natural too. and it's never too late to grow up, peter pan.

Maybe California is America's Never-Never Land.

Reply to
bitrex

I'm pretty sure, lots (~50%?) of the fires in Brazil are set by humans clearing land to plant other stuff... But I don't know... I think we should all agree to be good custodians of our planet, it's totally the best one in the neighborhood.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

So if someone lights you on fire, we should let it burn?

Fires are natural, what???

Since when is "natural" an implication of anything good? Floods are natural. Well, some of them are. The Johnstown flood wasn't. But maybe you think it was a good thing.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Brazil's right-wing fascist government Reichstag-fired the Amazon themselves to put the blame on "leftists and NGOs" in the way right-wing fascist governments do things

Reply to
bitrex

(while meanwhile selling off the now-bare land to ranchers and pocketing the $$$)

Reply to
bitrex

Natural is what happens unless people interfere. Good is an arbitrary value judgement.

Plants grow. In some places, like Louisiana, their ultimate destination is to settle into the mud and decay. But in a lot of places, the plants must burn. Biomass, aka fuel load, builds up. There will always be ignition sources, namely lightning.

Before the Spanish settlers showed up, the average patch of California forest or grassland burned about every 10 years. The natives warned the Spanish about that. The fires kept the fuel load down, and most big trees survived. Some trees *need* fires as part of their life cycle.

Fire is an unavoidable, natural, and arguably healthy, component of many parts of the world.

People have been using machines and hoses and helicopters to put out the fires, which increases the fuel load, creating giant firestorms that kill everything. Logging used to help some, but that is politically incorrect.

With more CO2 in the air, plants will grow more, fuel will build up faster, so we can expect more fires.

The UK solved the forest fire problem by chopping down most of the trees.

Why are you obsessed with excrement and so uninterested in system dynamics?

Oh, this has been true for 60 years or so, maybe more!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Post-Columbian USA was (mostly) populated by self-selected adventurous people. That formed the national character. California was the second distillation of that effect. Even the Chinese railroad workers (unlike the east-coast and deep south slaves) were self-selected risk takers.

As a bonus, California is physically spectacular, has great weather, and is in places extremely fertile. That attracted ambitious people too.

The bypass diode(s) conduct in that case.

And that may actually be part of or THE problem with these modules they use. Probably some Chinese company Tesla has their name put on.

Reply to
boB

In Australia, fuel reduction fires are deliberately lit in late winter and spring, as soon as the bush is dry enough to burn, but not dry enough to sustain a run-away bush fire.

It doesn't stop runaway bush fires in summer, which have to be tackled with machines and hoses and helicopters, but it does make them easier to control.

More CO2 in the air lets plants grow more, if they have enough water and other nutrients. They mostly don't. Fossilised leaves from high CO2 eras have smaller stomata, so the plant wasted less water while letting in as much CO2 as it could use.

We tell John Larkin this from time to time, but it never registers. If it showed up on Anthony Watts' denialist website, he might pay attention, but it won't.

That might have solved the UK forest fire problem, but the motivation was to use the wood in those trees.

The dynamics of a system that leads John Larkin to spout lots of denialist propaganda here do have more in common with dumping excrement in public places than John Larkin may at first appreciate.

He really should think harder before he posts nonsense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That leaves out the Puritans who wanted to practice religious intolerance o f their neighbours to a degree that more cilivised countries wouldn't toler ate.

The US is a remarkably religious country, even today. It isn't religious in a particularly attractive sense - banning abortions and persecuting gays s eems to be the most obvious symptom of this heightened sensibility. Much of the adventurous character seems to manifest itself in new ways of being me an to the neighbours.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> That formed the national character. California was the second
> distillation of that effect. Even the Chinese railroad workers (unlike
> the east-coast and deep south slaves) were self-selected risk takers.
>
> As a bonus, California is physically spectacular, has great weather,
> and is in places extremely fertile. That attracted ambitious people
> too.
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Biblicalism, holy-roller-ism, and "Cultural Christianity" provide a great cover story for scoundrels to hide out under and run various hustles and confidence-game swindles. along with patriotism.

"self-selected adventurous people" = hustler.

Reply to
bitrex

"self-selected adventurous people" is a good euphemism for "hustler"

Reply to
bitrex