VU or clap-o-meter

Hi

What is this called?

I need a small and simple clap-o-meter for places, where there are 50, max 100 people for contests.

Can anyone point me to a simple schematic for this?

WBR Sonnich

Reply to
Sonnich Jensen

Would perhaps a cheap sound level meter work?

Reply to
John S

I guess you mean a sound pressure level meter, which would read dB/decibels.

Microphone, amplifier, moving coil meter. Simples.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Clap-o-meter or Applause Meter. Maybe "large vu meter".

The electronics are simple enough, mostly taken from a sound level meter such as: However, the giant meter used in the display does require some construction: The last time I was at an event that used an applause meter, it was projected from a computer screen using a program running on a PC. Something like this:

How small, how simple, how big a room? The difficult part is calibrating full scale on the meter. You can't tell how noisy or loud the audience will be in advance and you can't adjust the gain during the performance. So, you have the choice of either finding 100 people to help calibrate the meter, or making your best guess.

There should be something buildable here:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Radio Shack has one, and their older models should show up on E-Bay. Examples are models 33-2050 (analog meter) and 33-2055 (LCD meter). I prefer the analog meter for a varying sound level.

It would be impressive to have a camera aimed at the meter, with the reading projected for all to see.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

How about applause meter. There are apps for ios and android.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Just get them to cheer at something & twiddle the knob. I'd expect it to be easier to use software these days though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

$1.99 smartphone app from the Apple store?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

there's a dude hiding behind it working the handle.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to