Voltage controlled current source

Hi,

I'm designing a PCB that needs to provide several bias currents to a custom IC. The receiving end in the IC are basic current mirrors, i.e. the input stages are diode-connected MOSFETs.

There are several constant currents that I need to source, ranging from 1uA to 100uA. I plan to use LM234's with trimpots for these. What is your opinion on using them for such small currents?

There is also a current that needs to be voltage controlled, so I can change its value using a bench power supply, instead of tuning a potentiometer. The current range from 100uA to 500uA. I may also connect it to a waveform generator someday (a sub-MHz frequency). I'm planning to use a opamp driving a MOSFET for this. The circuit is similar to this one

I would like to use LT1801 for the opamp because it is easy to use (single-supply, rail-to-rail), and seems to have decent performance. My question is what MOSFET or JFET should I use? I see thousands of choices on Digikey. Which one should I pick to have the best accuracy for my application?

Thanks a lot,

Scott

Reply to
sclwks

Assuming you mean the LM324, keep in mind that its input current can exceed 100nA so the lower ranges might not be accurate enough.

P-channel? Any old small FET would do, depending on how much compliance range you need. My usual standby is the BSS84. For the opamp I usually use the LM324 as well but with a resistive divider because it can't get close enough to the positive rail.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Small" mosfet or jfet is the operant word, because ordinary mosfets, like the one in the EDN article, are "large" in the sense that they can conduct amps of current, etc. They have a high gate capacitance, Ciss, crippling their performance at low currents. The OP can use a medium-sized mosfet, like the bss84, with Ciss = 30pF (not that low), but for 0.1 to 0.5mA currents he'll likely be better off using some common small PNP transistor, like the 2n3906, instead.

Reply to
Winfield

Yes, I go for BJT's as well. But for the usual reason: They cost a couple of pennies less ;-)

BJTs do introduce a small error though. Their hfe often ain't that great at low currents and the base current enters into the equation because it also flows across the sense resistor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thank you all for your help. When you say you'd choose a BJT instead, is it because of the smaller input capacitance? Or higher transconductance? I thought since the opamp already has a large open- loop gain, the gain of the transistor shouldn't matter so much. Am I right?

My application needs

Reply to
Scott

I'd say yes, inside the feedback loop, the mosfet's low transconductance isn't an issue. Actually, at low currents the mosfet's transconductance/current ratio improves dramatically, but it doesn't get as good as a BJT, with gm/Ic = q/kT = 1/25mV at 25C.

Then consider useing a Darlington transistor, or wire two ordinary ones in the Darlington configuration.

The LM324 input bias current, which is the spec you should be concerned with, can be as high as 250nA at room temp, according to the datasheets by ON Semi, Fairchild, TI, etc. NSC's LM324A datasheet says 100nA but if you're serious about that parameter, I'd select a better opamp.

There are two current-source issues having to do with speed, capacitance, and MOSFETs. The first is gate capacitance, which will determine how fast the opamp feedback loop can be, and how much capacitive gate current shows up on the sense resistor, causing an error at high frequencies. The second is the drain- source output capacitance, which will make a current source look like a voltage source at high frequencies. A BJT has Cobo = 4.5pF max, 3pF typ above 5V. By comparison, a bss84 mosfet, being a reasonably-small part, has Coss = 10pF typ, which is about 3x higher. Other common power MOSFETs will be much higher yet.

Consider, 10pF at 100kHz looks like 160k ohms, which can be an issue if your goal is 100nA predictability.

So, as you can see, there are tradeoffs on each side considering BJT vs MOSFET for low-current circuits.

Reply to
Winfield
[...]

Or: -------------+--------+--- ! ! !/e ! --------! PNP ! !/ !\\ !/ ------> Repeat if needed ---! NPN -------! NPN !\\e !\\e ! ! ----+----------------+----

The EB voltage is the same as the single transistor and the HFE can be really huge

Reply to
MooseFET

Thank you (and MooseFET), I'll look into the circuits you suggested.

For my constant current sources, I'm actually using LM234 (3-terminal adjustable current source), not LM324 after all. Sorry about all the confusion! Any comments on these parts?

Thanks a log,

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Keep in mind that they are temperature-dependent and that the inityial accuracy is only 3%.

I just put three of those into the wood stove :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Also, mind the 7mV or so offset voltage. This adds to the total error and its impact will be larger for smaller voltages across the sense resistor. With Scott's specs I'd pick a better one.