Voice Microphone for Portable Guitar Amp

I have a portable guitar amp I would like to use as a PA system with a microphone

Is there any problem with this, i.e. impedance matching, etc?

What type of low cost microphone would work best?

Thanks,

Ken Rockwell

Reply to
krockwell

Shure SM57 or SM58 dynamic microphone. Shielded microphone cable of whatever length you need with XLR connectors on both ends. Matching transformer with an XLR connector on one end and a 1/4" plug on the other end. Plug it together: microphone, cable, transformer, guitar amp. Any music store has all of this stuff.

Set this up at home so you can play with the amp settings before the gig, particularly the tone controls. If at all possible, put the amp between you and the public, so the microphone can't "hear" the amp speaker.

If there isn't going to be a sound guy to fiddle with the amp, and if the person speaking can't reach the amp from where he or she is standing, you might like to get a microphone with an on-off switch. That way, if you do get some feedback, the person speaking can stop it quickly by turning off the microphone. With no switch, cupping a hand over the microphone sometimes works.

This won't sound quite as good as using an amp and speaker designed for voice, but it should work.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Thanks for your reply.

What happens if you don't use the transformer? Is this for impedance matching or ground loops?

It's only for a lecture, so I don't need to sound like a rock star.

Ken Rockwell

Reply to
krockwell

Just get a cheap mic and an adapter for the plug and plug it in directly.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Can you use an 8 ohm speaker? or one of those tiny PC speakers? just talk into it?

Reply to
RobertMacy

** Not exactly low cost.

** Only one male XLR is need for an SM58.
** Not needed at all - the mic has enough output to work with a guitar amp as a voice PA.
** Cupping a cardiod mic like the 57/58 makes feedback worse.
** You bet.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I thought it would be needed for impedance matching, but Phil says the mic will have enough signal without it. You can get a cable or an adapter that goes right from XLR (at the mic) to 1/4" plug (at the amp) with no transformer.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

** Microphones have no "ground loops" - since the cable is attached to amplification gear only at one end.
** Go for that - and a mic that is cardiod ( not omni) and preferably 600ohms impedance for a bit more output.

Steer away from any mics that need batteries inside them.

I assume you are going to hand hold the mic OR at least speak very close into it.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

Correction:

** Only one FEmale XLR is needed for an SM58.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Why do you say that?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

** IME, given the OP's requirement for low cost - dynamic vocal mics with good performance and reliability are easy to find while similar quality electret condensers are not.

So, if he stays away from THEM he is less likely to inadvertently buy a piece of junk.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

My experience was much the opposite, fwiw. Maybe things have changed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A Shure SM58 plus a cable ought to be just fine.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk