Vista

Check this out:

+++++++++++++ Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:22:01 +0000 From: "Clive D. W. Feather" Subject: The risks of upgrading

As a result of an upgrade to Vista in Ohio's Marietta High School computer systems, previously protected student information and photos were able to be accessed by unauthorized people. "It appears the students were interested in making changes to their photos in the school cafeteria system." The photos and a student ID are used to verify charges for lunches, and officials suspected some students were manipulating the system to avoid paying for lunches. [Source: Marietta Times , PGN-ed]

Clive D.W. Feather +44 20 8495 6138

JosephKK

So there is such a thing as a free lunch then?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

...not quite; the taxpayers will pay one way or the other.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...not if the world ends before the national debt has to be paid. Any money that is left when the rapture comes will just go to waste.

Reply to
MooseFET
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

Proberbly the same judgement on database app that made them choose MS-Vista. Not a wise choice for any serious security.

Reply to
Sky465nm

Wrong.

Encrypted file systems are only accessible to OSes that are compliant with such file systems. That would not include "any other version of windows". Also even an non-encrypted NTFS file system on Vista is not able to be accessed on an older Windows box that has not been upgraded, and there are thousands of them.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

As if you would even know.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

[snip]

You appear to have just summarized GOP fiscal policy in one sentence.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature

This doesn't seem logical.

If I built an identification system based on stored photos, modifying those photos would cause identification to fail, and so with the entire transaction.

Of course, if numerous entries were corrupted, the administration might opt to hand out lunches for free rather than argue with a bunch of crying, hungry kids.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Crap! If you listen closely to Obama's double-talk, he's going to spend even more... by taxing you "rich" guys ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Come to California. Then you all really know what "living beyond the means" is all about.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You mean they blew yet another backwards compatibility? What were the guys in Redmond thinking?

Luckily I don't have to deal with that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think the term is: RSHs *

*Red Short Hairs
Reply to
donald

Sure you do. But how about paying for what _other_people_ want?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

He's no different than any other leftist weenie. He doesn't mind us paying for his feel-good programs.

--
Keith
Reply to

Sure, then they can DRM your data and rent it back to you.

--
Keith
Reply to

That's fine by me. I believe in paying for what I want.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Interestingly funny...

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

Since media encryption at the consumer level wasn't even around back then, I'd say they blew nothing.

A lot about our wallets.

Money? Must be nice. Most of the rest of us do.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored