viscosity

We are considering using a thermally conductive putty. Its viscosity is specified as 5e6 mPas.

Does anyone have a feel for what that is? Oatmeal, play-doh, modeling clay, plumbers putty?

The t-global TG-PP-10 has a specified thermal conductivity of 10 w/mK, which is about 10x better than a "thermally conductive" epoxy. I suspect that it has a lot of fillers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is about halfway between peanut butter and window putty.

glen walpert

I think Larkin should use peanut butter >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'm the cheapskate. I own cheapness. I've tried toothpaste. It works very well while wet, something like a couple more degrees (memory vague) on a hungry AMD 8 core CPU.

Peanut butter's too valuable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which is not unrelated to the viscosity, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Like that stuff between your ears, presumably.

Reply to
John S

I prefer super chunky peanut butter, which wouldn't work well between a part and a heat sink. And there are mice to consider.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Right. A lot of filler will make theta lower but make the stuff harder, the limiting case being a solid block of alumina or some such at 25 w/mK or so.

We ordered some, so when it comes in we can handle it and see how it feels. But if 5e6 is rock hard, we should order some softer stuff, maybe 5 w/mK.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Peanut butter is my favorite bait for mouse traps. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Also rabbits. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

WTF? why can't they write 5kPa? That's about 0.7 PSI

ballpark Play-Doh (tm) by my reckoning (the other substances listed being less consistent, and some of them thixotropic)

Jasen Betts

How can you fit a rabbit into the little metal clip?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

They're both rodents, so I guess you would use a capibara as bait in a rabbit trap.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Units conversion error: well, more like units conversion catastropphe. Viscosity (poises is the usual unit) is like, grams/(cm-second), that 'Pas' thing is an oddball variant. The poise unit usually is denoted P, which is a duplcate of the pascal unit, also P. The only difference is, poise is g/cm/sec system and pascal is kg/m/sec system. So, in g/cm/sec, the Pascal is denoted 'Pa'.

If this doesn't confuse you, you've failed the Turing test.

And the 'Pas' is actually pascal-seconds.

Reply to
whit3rd

My favorite too. But last year my son had a mouse that did not like peanut butter and he had to use black walnuts as bait.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

We got a small jug of the t-global putty. It's pretty soft, a bit softer than new plumber's putty maybe. It would be easy to measure out a bit and smoosh it into a milled cavity and then push a PCB with parts into that. But realistically, a silicone gap-pad would be easier to work with, if the lower thermal conductivity were OK.

It is a little greasy, like plumbers' putty.

Dielectric constant is not specified!