Vintage equipment voltage measurement

Never even occurred to me.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, whuich means it is your fault that all this shit is breaking down. :-)

repair group."

It is much more fun here talking about Trump and Putin and the tanked econo my. (oops, that didn't happen)

around, understand how it's supposed to work, and figure out why it doesn't. "

That's the way I always did it.

You know back when I wasn't quite as developed I used to say "I think the p eople who design this shit should be made to fix it". I still don't believe that is such a bad idea but I now know that it is not practical. Still, it would be nice.

Back in the day, I advocated testing for applicants to the service field. I took one at Electrasound and rewrote it. I wrote a couple of them, one in Qbasic, which became worthless with XP, or was it 98 ? I didn't feel like l eaning C, oh well. I also thought that IF, looking for a better tech., righ t before the interview give them a paper and pencil, several pieces of pape r in fact in case the make a mistake, give them some time and make them dra w a detailed block diagram of a COLOR TV. Back then I mean NTSC. The diagra m is rejected if it is too basic, like a "black box", but more detailed dra wings get a better score. This along with basic electronics proficiency you might have an effective screen against the incompetent.

With today's TVs I might not be able to pass such a test, let alone write o ne.

But now I am having trouble writing my CV. I have had so many diversified j obs, and done many notable tings I would like to include that I would give my left nut to get it on to one page. It's about 4 and that is as condensed as I could make it at the time. Need to squish it down.

But just voltages ? there are simple rules, and error factors are not that important in tube stuff because most of it is unregulated, and line voltage changes, and it has upped since those things were built so they are gettin g 125 volts instead of 110. Take whatever factor that is and square it and you got the added power dissipation, like double.

I have found this easy to figure out. It might be because I am not conventi onally educated. I found that I was unaware of many limitations I do not ha ve.

But really, the point of all this is that it is not all that heard to just figure out what voltages should be.

Reply to
jurb6006

That's what you get when people lack basic understanding of the matter.

Reply to
Rob

Resistance used depends on the range:

better explanation:

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I've only recently discovered that I invariably overlook simpler solutions. Fortunately I'm only a hobbyist and don't do this for a living!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, sorry, that was the Latin pronunciation as taught, in English it's as you wrote.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

And that is clearly true for more than just electronics!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Or you could just read the question:

I'm currently TS on a mid 70s Tek scope the manual for which states the readings given are valid for a meter with a Zin of between 100k and 200k (specifically a Triplett 630NS see link).

Reply to
mike

Nothing is simple or stays simple. Everything becomes more complexicated.

I know the feeling. Three times in my life I've turned my hobby into a business. Now, I'm getting ready to begin to start planning to retire and I'm turning my business into a hobby with at least one of my hobbies into a potential business. Perhaps it would be better for the skools to teach hobbies instead of professions?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Nope.

The difference between engineering and repair is that the engineer assumes that the problem is due to a design error and fixes the problem by redesigning the circuit. The repair tech assumes that it was designed and built correctly, therefore something has blown.

The engineers needs to make production lots of an instrument work. The repair technician usually needs to make one work.

The engineer tries to determine how the circuit should work. The repair tech tries to determine what the engineer was thinking when he designed the circuit.

The engineer understands how the circuit should work. The technician understands what the circuit actually does.

The engineer has experience making the instrument work under laboratory conditions. The technician has experience making it work in the rather nasty "real world" environment.

The engineer selects components based on availability, performance, price, and lifetime. The repair tech substitutes whatever can be found in his junk box.

The engineer writes the documentation partly to demonstrate to the world the cleverness and greatness of his design. The repair tech doesn't read the documentation unless he's desperate.

The engineer makes measurements in order to find problems. The repair tech looks for smoke, burned parts, bulging capacitors, broken connections, manufacturing errors, and mechanical damage. Well, maybe he does take a few measurements like the power supply voltages.

All this works very nicely as long as engineers don't try to act like technicians and technicians don't try to act like engineers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Of course that's the ideal thing. But the reality is that if working on a circuit the person doesn't understand too well, and it's happened to all of us, a diagram with expected voltages is a big plus. And that's why they have long been popular.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you aren't thinking about what is actually going on in the circuit.

Anything to avoid having to think.

As has been pointed out, you can simulate any lower Zin you like by adding the appropriate parallel resistance, but that does involve thinking, and Cu rsitor Doom's preferred mode of existence involves reading what is in front of his eyes, and never thinking about what it means.

The Daily Mail sells him nonsense designed to appeal to non-thinking right wingers, and Russia today sells him equally fatuous nonsense designed to pr esent Putin and his crew of rapacious oligarchs in a good light.

Nature doesn't actually abhor an intellectual vacuum, but people like that do tend to win Darwin awards.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not sure about the US, but schools in the UK are teaching kids *what* to think rather than how to. Very little of a typical school day is now spent learning anything genuinely useful. The kids the schools turn out into the world of work nowadays are mostly only suited to flipping burgers or delivering pizzas.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Your nym isn't that old. What was it before?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

One wonders how Cursitor Doom found this out?

He's presumably echoing something he read in the Daily Mail

That does depend how you define "useful". The Daily Mail probably regrets the disappearance of Latin.

Which is to say, competing with Cursitor Doom, who couldn't manage anything more demanding.

tells us that 49% of UK's 24-35 year-old have completed some form of tertiary education, which moves them beyond flipping burgers and delivering pizzas.

Admittedly some properly qualified chefs do include the hamburger - or some version of it - in their repertoire. Julia Child did include the dish in her Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but Cursitor Doom wouldn't have known that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Eeyore. The name of a depressive donkey from A.A. Milne's Winniew-the-Pooh children's books.

At that he was over-valuing his intelligence.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You might think so, but very wrong. Unfortunately much of UK tertiary education in the past decade or so is in subjects such as media science and equally useless subject that have few opportunities. As a result many do go onto flipping burgers.

2 years ago I knew a software engineer, who after taking into account the costs of living away from home, said he was better off working for McDonalds.

I'm sure even Mr Doom will also have been dragged into seeing Julia & Julia (2009).

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Perkins

My father bought a Sony Trinitron in 1978, which came with a complete schematic that had waveforms in addition to voltages. That was the last time I saw a TV that came with one.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Not me.

Reply to
jurb6006

the costs of living away from home, said he was better off working for McDonalds. "

Not so good at it eh ?

No offense but that means som

Reply to
jurb6006