Video monitors and CCD cameras.

For one of our instruments, Diode laser spectroscopy,

We use a CCD camera and little TV to image the NIR laser spot and observe the Rubidium fluorescence. (Used to tune the laser to the correct wavelength.)

So we didn=92t buy a lifetime supply of either the cameras or TVs and now they are both disappearing. (about a years supply of each on the shelf.)

(Camera is a B&W CM625 made in Korea and distributed by cloverusa.) I tried a color CCD camera made by the same people and still in production. CCM630 This had two issues. First it has a NIR filter over the CCD element that had to be pried off. And second the sensitivity is not as high. B&W CM625 lists minimum illumination as 0.05 lux (f 1.2) and color CCM630 at 0.1 lux (f 1.2)

We could work with the reduced sensitivity, but it is very nice when you are aligning the grating on the laser.

The little TV=92s have 6=94 x 8=94 foot print (15mm x 20mm) so they don=92t take up that much room on the optical bread board. It is nice to have the monitor =91right in your face=92 as you are aligning the grating. We also mount the camera on an optical post so you can move it around the bread board and poke into what you need to see.

So I=92m looking for a new solution. Here=92s some ideas.

1.) Just find a cheap =91web cam=92 and let everyone use their laptop computer. I have some issue=92s with this. a.) will the camera work with all laptops? b.) requires user to have laptop

2.) Video surveillance gear. What are these people using for monitors? Are there any little LCD (or other) displays that I could use.?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What about a regular photography-type camera? Just look in the viewfinder. I have one camera that images light from a 1050 nm laser. It looks whitish-purple.

(Of course, that was rather a lot of light.)

But cheap USB webcams seem to usually work with Windows, the standard media viewer, no drivers or such required. Buy a half dozen for maybe $10 each, and try them.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

=92t

=A0We

Oh that's interesting. I need a really cheap camera, else it will have the 'standard' NIR filter and block out ~780-795 nm light I want to see. I'll try the one I have here.

Yeah I'll have to order a bunch, this looks like the simplist solution... It does put some onus on the user.

George H

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:03:27 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

For monitor I have 2 of these:

One has a bit dark spot, but picture on both is very good, About 220mA @ 12V IIRC Cameras is a much longer story, I have used this with a small PAL color camera from
to look at details of electronics cicuits. I dunno of these cameras ae any good for hat you want,' but the advantage of this over any webcams is that there is no delay (latency). I have expensive ethernet webcam too, and the delay is sometimes up to seconds (buffering), and small webcams like the Logitechs I have also delay to much for practical use with tools. The little Conrad PAL cameras with this monitor are great. Not sure you can still get them though, maybe I bought all the stock ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have bought some monochrome NTSC cameras sold on eBay for "security camera" use. I have no idea of the real sensitivity, but they were about $30. They work fine for my application of aligning parts on a pick and place machine. I put a couple white LEDs on it for illumination. I also don't know about IR filters on them, but they are sometimes used with IR LEDs for covert camera use, so I'll bet they DON'T have the filter.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Most cheap B&W CCD cameras don't have IR filters. In fact, the only B&W CCD TV cameras I've run into with IR filters are industrial grade Sony that you find in machine vision applications.

I wouldn't call them cheap, but cameras that use Sony CCDs with Super-HAAD are great for NIR. You can see a soldering iron through them. [This is due to the black body radiation, which has a tail into NIR. The peak IR is obviously too long in wavelength for a silicon CCD.]

As an aside, there is paint that the NIR cameras can see through, but looks black to the naked eye. It was developed for secret barcode applications, but I don't believe I ever saw it used in real life. It even exists in fabric, so you can have messages only seen by the cameras.

Reply to
miso

=92t

=A0We

..

That looks nice... now I just gotta dig up the source for 50 to 100

Thanks

amera

ency).

Oh delay would not work. I then need a low light level, zero delay web cam.. or some such spec.

I can still get these color CCD camera's from clover. Not as good as what I had, but perhaps good enough. George H.

George Herold

Thanks Jon, With Jan's LCD video display, I'll then just have to search for camera's. I really would like a supplier that can sell me

20/year for the rest of my life. (I know a pipe dream)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Many years ago we went searching for fabric to make a 'black' cloth to stop light from gettng into our optical pumping apparatus (again an Si photodiode) A co-worker and I were in the local fabric shop sticking our heads under everything. The first few plastic fabrics we picked were lousy at blocking NIR. Black Canvas works great!

How expensive are the camera's? We were paying ~$50. The cables always break at the connector though.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=92t

We

Hi George,

We have bought board-level ccd cameras from supercircuits for around $20. The power supplies might be another $10. You can still get handheld LCD tv's that accept external inputs for around $50-75. You might need an RCA to BNC adapter, depending.

Frank

Reply to
Lineshape

Here is the first hit on black paint transparent infrared:

Regarding your application, while not a genuine Sony HAAD, why not buy one of these and try it out.

I suspect if you call Supercircuits and tell them you need to see NIR, they would know which cameras are good enough. The Chinese vendors probably know which are good as NIR too.

The really low light NIR cameras aren't this cheap, but you are looking at a very strong source. You might get away with a pinhole camera.

I've bought a few cameras from Supercircuits over the years. Not the best, but pretty decent for the price. Watec makes better NIR stuff, but it isn't cheap.

Nearly every low light CCD I've purchased over the years developed a hot pixel. These guys really crank up the gain, so you see the defect in the sensor as they age. But a hot pixel shouldn't matter in your application.

If there existed a cheap R72 filter, that would probably make finding the spot really easy since the SNR would be improved. I've used Watec low light CCDs with R72 in front outdoors or by a quartz light and you would swear the glass is clear.

Reply to
miso

Small LCD monitors for car backup cameras:

I have one of these to check my mailbox from the house:

Michael A. Terrell

=92t

=A0We

Supercircuits, check. Thanks Frank.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks miso, Supercircuits looks like the vendor I've been seeking. Sometimes I've got plenty of light.. but in others I get a bit starved. Running right at threshold when aligning things. And then there's an experiment where the students can build an unequal arm Michelson interferometer to measure the wavlength. You've gotta find the fringes with the camera and that can be a bit of a challenge.

George

Reply to
George Herold

=92t

=A0We

-

Those look great! Thanks Michael

Do you have the camera inside the mail box? Or is it a newspaper 'tube' with an open front?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's in the house right now, but that window will soon be removed to install a new air conditioner. Then it will be mounted under an eve, with a clear shot at the mailbox. It saves me a painful walk to the road on days with no mail. I can see them open the door from the angle wher the camera is located.

Michael A. Terrell

Its amazing that a 4.3" LCD monitor costs less than $30 with case and power supply built in,

but buying a raw LCD module cost so much more.

Anyone have links to 4.3" or 5.6" modules at comparable prices.

Thanks

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Rural-style mailbox by the road? Make up an RF transmitter activated by a Cherry switch when the door opens. ...Jim Thompson

I have that, (with a tilt switch) but I get a lot of boxes that won't fit in the oversize mailbox. One day the mailman delivered over 120 pounds of books in the driveway. The camera lets me see them pull into the driveway and gives me more time to limp to the door to meet them. I am going to build a lockbox that they can leave large packages when I'm not home, or too sick to get out of bed.

Michael A. Terrell

No power supply. It runs on 9 to 12 volts. I run the camera and monitor on a surplus wall wart from a dead cordless phone.

It is not only cased, but it has an OSD menu to adjust it.

A lot of sizes show up on Ebay, and some offer a discount for bulk buys.

Michael A. Terrell