VHF swiching AC/DC converter

I just noticed this product:

which claims to be a 65W laptop power brick (including PFC) that switches at VHF (i.e. over 30MHz).

Whilst switching in this frequency range has been done for years (e.g. on- die by Intel), this is the first time I've noticed it in a standalone AC/ DC converter.

They don't seem to provide efficiency figures, but from the (small) physical size the efficiency would need to be in the mid-90% range to avoid overheating.

This PDF

says that it uses air cored inductors.

From the FAQ: "meet[s] FCC Part 15 Class B EMI requirements for North America plus all international EMI requirements for a laptop charger"

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

One assumes torroids?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Air core torroids?

Reply to
krw

GaN fets, probably.

lunatic fringe electronics

** LDMOS according to this article:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

We had the epc folks visit and show us their new GaN stuff. Some of the parts are cheap, 60 cents or something. They were pushing 30-50 MHz offline warts, but we're not in that business. They might make nice pulse generators.

lunatic fringe electronics

This article suggests GaN-on-Silicon HeMTs from Transphorm were at least considered:

From that article, I found another manufacturer with similar products:

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

I wonder how they make sure it runs at a frequency where it does not cause radio interference... crystal control?

Reply to
Rob

Key one!

Cheers