VHF antenna question

Will try the quarter wave with 4 radials.

There's pretty much line of site to any plane if I toss an antenna on the roof or porch and it's just the operations at the airport I can't receive. Any noise below the antenna is just that, and not needed at all.

Stronger transmissions like the weather channels which transmit off a tower come in clear, even with my antenna removed or even capped off with a 50ohm terminator.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

3 or 5 would look even cooler. Odd numbers rock!
--

Rick
Reply to

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:48:53 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader Gave us:

Make it like this one...

Or better yet, like this one!

or maybe this one...

a fractal quad....

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes. I think I read somewhere that the inventor (was it George Brown?) back in 1920s or 30s used two radials but the customer (police?) preferred the look of 4 and that is what has stuck.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Don't know about the name, but read the same info. In response, I used

1/8" copper tape on a window with a vertical and two drooping radials as an antenna. It worked much better than the ducky. Keeps it out of harm's way.
Reply to
John S

I guess the measuring out 72 degrees per radial would add some fun. I've got a 200 or 300 watt soldering iron I'm really itching to use before I contaminate it with some really nasty flux for stainless steel. Too bad I'm not dealing with microwaves and can't make the whole thing out of plumbing.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

wonder if there's a mobius strip antenna yet.

bizarro.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Interesting. An alarm foil antenna would be cool.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:50:07 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader Gave us:

No, but here is a bicone:

And a discone:

Here is your mobius: (well... close anyway)

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes. It was fun to do. I went to a hobby store and found the adhesive-backed copper tape to use for this. Some soldering is needed, of course, and I raised the top end of the two drooped radials away from the window to do this and soldered them together there. Soldered the coax shield to the two radials and the center conductor to the bottom of the vertical. I did not make measurements as it was in a mobile home out in the boonies with the repeater about 20 miles away and I had no instruments. I attached an HT and it worked flawlessly. Kudos to the repeater.

Reply to
John S

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 08:36:38 -0500, John S Gave us:

I used copper flashing for this. It is easier to form when there is no adhesive backing on it, and easy to apply some after forming or stick it to an adhesive surface.

The rolls are expensive, but the are small pieces that were a lot cheaper. The good thing is the gauge of it.

But I'll leave that aspect for you to gauge.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno