Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible - Page 3

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Well, not one that fits in the palm of the hand, but automatic
transmissions are not unknown.   I've got a couple of 'em
parked outside.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Those are standard in power distribution as well -- tap changers. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Yeah I have a Nissan Rogue with a cvt.  Funny but they use software to
imitate gear changes.  I wouldn't be uncomfortable with the constant
change of ratio but their marketing folks disagree I guess.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Basically everything wrong with mass-market / consumer products is because
people are... dumb.  Facebook extracts ad revenue by being just annoying
enough.  Microsoft has annoying features because of many reasons, among them
backwards compatibility, point-and-click users, and adding proprietary
features to an otherwise standard environment.  And cars have sounds and
shifting because people want their cars to be bad. :-/

Tim

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

a cvt shifting in steps could possible be a matter of efficiency and wear

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

The ratchet and pawl in something like a clock escapement?

What do you mean?  (There are mechanical analogies to many things.)

George H.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

I'll assume a (good) infinitely variable gearbox

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible
On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 18:29:37 -0700, John Larkin

Clockworks?

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

  build a constant-speed flywheel

  that's going to require some tricky levers, but the right force to
distance curve should allow you to construct a flywheel with masses that move
radially that has near constant speed over a range of angular momentums.

this could perhaps be could be a horizontal flywheel that has steel balls balls thay roll up
inclined tracks by "centrifugal force"

Then sense the position of the masses (perhaps use magnets) and have that turn the
(spring) motor on and off.

--
     ?

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Well, one could use a wristwatch-type escapement and a fluid damper.
Might not be super durable!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

There are several theoretically lossless variable-ratio gadgets. One
uses a belt that can be positioned between tapered shafts. Another
moves a roller at adjustable radius from a rotating disk. The latter
was used in analog computers for aiming guns and torpedoes.

You can see such a computer onboard the submarine Bowfin at Pearl
Harbor. It's worth the trip if you are ever in Hawaii.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

variable ratio, clutch and forward-reverse all in one

https://youtu.be/ezcxi6zRIuk?t18%m3s

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

The wheel drive on my snow blower works like that..
rubber disc and rubber rimmed driven wheel.
It works the same way with the disc always spinning.

George H.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

It had an electric motor though,
and a lever that moved the pushing plate fricton plate if you want)
from the governer, so you could also move it to 45 rpm
Made by Philips.
IIRC it had worm drive from the motor to the turntable...
Cannot find a picture of it online.
Had great fun with it, learned a lot from it.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

My tractor (TO-20 ferguson) has a governor, I've had it apart
but don't really understand what all the springs and levers do.

George H.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

That was used long before Edison.

You say no losses. How would you implement it in a lossless way in this case?

With the centrifugal control you still need something to convert mechanical position to electrical control. Perhaps there is something other than a carbon pile possible, like moving an iron core to vary reactance to control field current.

NT

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Ferry Zimple

We call that a 'variomatic',
wheels with varying diameter, also seen in dome desktop electric drills,
first here used in the DAF automobile transmission:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic

The centrifugal governor controls the CVT and thus the speed of the generator,
while the electric motor is running at approx. the same speed.
The load on the motor changes and is reduced for a lower transmission ratio,
and so does the power consumption.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

The variomatic was a rather interesting concept. The DAFs could really have done with computer control, vacuum control was far from ideal. And the cars so needed a restyle!

NT

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

What's the wall-plug efficiency of a Van de Graaff?

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible
Huh, I wonder too.  The few I've played with you could
hear the motor load down as the thing charged up.

George H.