Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible - Page 2

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible
u>
ution :-)
nk
at Phil

that is basically:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier#/media/File:Dickson_voltag
e_multiplier.svg

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 2:10:20 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christens
edu>
olution :-)
hink
50
that Phil

age_multiplier.svg

Wiki just doesn't know that with one side grounded it's called
the Harpo Marx generator.  (Harpo was always my favorite.)

George H.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible
u>
ution :-)
nk
at Phil

I've got it. Charge each doorknob to 30kV then fire it into the top of the
plastic tube with a toy cannon. Rotating contacts top & bottom extract the
output from the pile of Cs, while they're let out at the bottom at the same
 rate as they're fired into the top.

NT

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

There are mechanical generators that do that by putting HV axial caps on
what's basically a bandolier.  Similar to a van de Graaf but with a lot
more stooch.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

the plastic tube with a toy cannon. Rotating contacts top & bottom extract
the output from the pile of Cs, while they're let out at the bottom at the
same rate as they're fired into the top.

Oh, not seen those.

NT

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Nothing so fancy. I figured that I could just charge them and drop
them into the tube. When the tube is full, it could be ballpark a
megavolt between the ends.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Yes, an electric motor and a rubber band is the basis of many a
van de Graaff generator, but it's easier to get 350 kV than it
is to get 350W that way.   That's REAL high voltage gain.

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

No, high power (several kW) DC motors are common,
example for electric boats
Mains voltage generators are common in those what's it callled
petrol generators with 240V mains output,
bridge rectifier 240 * sqrt(2) = 339.411255
Scrap yard, be done with it, some speed control (not the drug)
LOL

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

add a carbon pile regulator

NT

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Mechanical, centrifugal speed control, Edison already used it.
No losses.

I had a record player that used that
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

I think the record player speed regulator was frictional hence lossy.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Yes it was, 78 rpm, also friction from the needle..

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Yes but against a spring that's wound up that is exactly what is needed. Electric motor not so much...

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

I could imagine a nearly lossless regulator for a wind-up Victrola,
but not with 1930's technology.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

Were CVs (continuously variable ratio gears) not available then? I assume the reason to not use them was slow controller response loop.

NT

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

I still feel sorry for mechanical engineers who have no decent
equivalent to a switching regulator.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

It's called a gearbox. Not suitable for gramophone speed regulation, but belt drive turntables offer other approaches (not that any of them would be a sensible choice in real life).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

That'd be a transformer.

CVT is the best they've got, but it's a variac, and like a variac, suffers
from losses where the brushes short across turns, and wear.

Here's a project that tried:
https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-042711-231644/unrestricted/Switch-Mode_CVT_Torsion_Spring.pdf

It's a shame that no material has an extremely high speed of sound.
Beryllium is the highest by far among metals, topped only by diamond
(maybe).  That's not very encouraging for an application that's expecting
high impact and abrasion forces...

I would suspect a hydraulically actuated resonant converter might not be too
terrible, but it would be a pain to design, even worse of a pain to dampen
properly (to keep it from shaking the car apart, let alone be quiet enough
for the passengers), on account of the many more vibrational degrees of
freedom mechanical parts have, compared to electrical circuits; and it still
wouldn't get anywhere near the power density of an electric converter of the
same rating.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

The Honda CR-V has a CVT transmission. I have a CR-V, and it works just fine.
I guess I don?t get the point of the WPI effort.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Very high gain transformerless boost converter - is it possible

There is the hit & miss engine. Not quite the same frequency response though. I guess it's more equivalent to the Philips G8 style triac & dropper PSU that either let a whole half-cycle through or didn't.

NT

Site Timeline