Variable power supply

It's not pretty, but works.

Took awhile to find a small 12V fan.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Guessing the emissions are as beautiful as the construction is...

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Emissions ?

You lost me.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Fans suck. I've had to put fans in stuff I designed, but I never liked it. Better is to try and get (design) the heat to the edge of the box, and then an aluminum heat sink to the room air.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Input is 12VDC, not likely to be any emissions.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Thanks George.

The box is plastic.

Maybe the circuit board should get a little warm.?? I am not exceeding specs for the circuit board.

The component that gets warm is square and has a 330 marked on the top.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Ah, so not your design. 330 is perhaps a 3.3 ohm resistor? what does your DMM say when you measure across it. (no power)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Most likely a 330 uH inductor.

Reply to
tom

1.4 ohms

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Except for having 330 on it, component looks like circled item.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks.

Have to look that up.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

'330' normally means 33.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

1.4 ohms is a lot of wire. On most that I have seen and used the 330 is the value in uH.
Reply to
tom

Electro-magnetic interference.

Reply to
krw

It is an inductor. Probably 33 uH.

Reply to
John S

that's an inductor, they're fairly heat resistant.

Jasen Betts

his DMM says "1.4", I have a cheap one here that says that with the probes shorted, and a slightly more expensive one that doesn't.

Jasen Betts

Thanks. Do fan is unnecessary ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Fans are annoying, they are noisy, windy, like to collect dust, and they break.

It's sometimes easier to get a more capable module and experience less heating, it may say "3A" on the listing but I find that at 2A they are getting hot enough to worry me, and at 3A they tend to go into thermal shut down (ie: they overheat).

I changed to a more expensive module: maybe $2 instead of $1, this claims 5A, and at 3A in free air it only gets warm.

XL4005 is the chip it used, instead of LM2956. it could be this module:

Jasen Betts

You forgot "expensive" but mostly, they break.

Or spend the extra cash on a better case/heatsink.

Reply to
krw