Vacuum Cleaners from Outer Space

Puns.. :)

Is it me or do vacuum cleaners have some of the most sucky body designs. Wayyyy too much eye candy to suck in consumers.

Example:

Click for bigger picture.

Take the handle off this sucker and it can pass as a robot in a low budget sci fi movie. :P

I think it sucks to pay for eye candy and most likely I'll never buy a 'turboized robovac from the future'.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Punishment?

Industrial design is a good thing. Too much industrial design might not be. Most of those are clones of Sir James Dyson's design from the late 1970's:

Lots of advantages to the design. However, the internal construction did not lend itself to looking like a conventional vacuum cleaner. The first models were rather odd looking, but after 30 years and 1000 prototypes, a suitable design was worked out that didn't look too alien. Dyson wanted a clear cover (like all techies), but the customers said they didn't want one. So, he did it anyway and patented it:

It's all kinda like the trend in the 1950's to make everything from pencil sharpeners to vacuum cleaners look aerodynamic. Also, fins on automobiles. The current fashion trend in industrial design is to show the internal mechanics and moving parts. Strong polycarbonate plastic has made this possible. Double insulation on electrical appliances have also provided an incentive to use more insulating plastic. The down side is that they don't last. The vacuum cleaner will spray dust, from leaks in the mechanism, around the inside the clear cover, rapidly sand blasting the surface. Even without sand blasting, the accumulated dust on the clear cover make the vacuum cleaner *LOOK* dirty or prematurely worn out.

It's all a conspiracy to control product lifetime anyway.

Nice. You might want to look at some of the ideas (and nightmares) on the web sites for industrial designers. It might stimulate your imagination.

Add arms and it might just work.

Well, how about something more "modern" in a vacuum cleaner?

Kinda like a motorized plastic toy snail.

Argh. One of my (great) ideas has been anticipated. The inflatable mouse:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Huh... At first glance (call it tthe VacuSnail )I thought it was just some eccentric designer gone mad but ...surprise...it's made by Philips. I think it's weird to give the kids vacuum toys to ride. :P I"m glad I didn't ride a VacuSnail when I was a kid...How embarrassing.. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Example:

That's why I stick to my 25 year old Electrolux E-2000. I think it needs a new light bulb for the power light. That's about it.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I just bought a Hoover for much cheaper price. $100. They most all seem too fancy. I also have this............

jpg

and I have a newer one. Also have a Kirby.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I think a lot of industrial design is done by frustrated (female) real estate agents who once visited the Guggenheim and never recovered - form counts; function is secondary.

Like my wonderful microwave oven - what idiot decided that the related functions on the keypad should be separated into illogical groupings so the keyboard would look symmetrical? or the myriad of advertised features you can customize can't be saved in non volatile memory? or the display sits an inch from the window so you have to stoop down to read it? or the light stays on when the door is open - close the door and condensate has no where to go.

default

ml?...

shopvac. and all the clones. a big vacuum tank where you attach a hose, comes in different sizes, and a thing on top that sucks the air out of it.

Example:

I've yet to come across a shopvac with a rug beater attachment (vacuum head with rotating brush for rugs). But... :) I could get a used rug beater and adapt it to a shopvac... :) Heck...Maybe I could do wet carpet cleaning too with the shopvac!

2 in 1. That could be more bang for the buck compared to those consumer sucking 'flashy cyborg' vacuums.