USPS Informed Delivery

You can preview mail yet to be delivered.

Informed Delivery provides eligible residential consumers with a digital pr eview of their household's incoming mail scheduled to arrive soon. Users ca n view greyscale images of the exterior, address side of incoming letter-si zed mailpieces (not the inside contents) via email or an online dashboard. Check out our FAQs for more details.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Nice! Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
John S

I've been using the service since it started in March 2017. Some initial problems:

  1. The USPS won't do it with my PO Box. Only real addresses at this time. Plans to extend the service to PO Boxes have been announce, but without a start date.
  2. My rural mailbox at my real address receives almost exclusively junk mail. Most of the informed delivery messages that arrive are photos of junk mail. I believe that it detects bulk mail and ignores them, but not always.
  3. The service only photographs one envelope per day. If you get two important letters, you only get a photo of one envelope.
  4. It's fairly good at separating out the junk mail, but that does me little good when everything I get is junk mail. I tested this by sending myself some real letters. The service correctly selected the real letters in 3 out of 5 tries, and only missed the remaining two because they were designed to look like personal mail with hand written addressing.
  5. The envelope photos generally arrive 1 to 2 days before the letter is actually delivered.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You only get images for Lettermail only that is automatically processed. Not for packages (yet) as far as I could see. I assume that will come...

Very nice service though, I suspect folks will like that a lot.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I don't see the value. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

If my next door neighbor signed up, I wouldn't have to track him down to give him the the mail that landed in my box...things are not so stable with all the contract mail carriers these days...no more postal employees "on the streets" it seems.

Reply to
Bill Martin

We have "community" mail box locations out here in the semi-boonies of Arizona, so I just circle the address and stuff it back into the "out" slot.

I've adopted a policy of doing nothing critical using USPS, though Amazon is using USPS here, and they deliver to my door, rather than to the box! ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

That negates any value the service might have.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

l preview of their household's incoming mail scheduled to arrive soon. User s can view greyscale images of the exterior, address side of incoming lette r-sized mailpieces (not the inside contents) via email or an online dashboa rd. Check out our FAQs for more details.

They do have a history file that has a copy of the label of a packaged that has been successfully delivered.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not anymore, it has photos of all the letters now.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

One of my neighbors received a USPS Informed Delivery photo of a refund check envelope. However, when she went to pickup the check, it was gone, apparently stolen. After some initial bureaucratic fumbling, payment on the check was stopped in time, and new check was issued.

One of my relatives sent a package to my PO box. Informed delivery allowed me to drop everything and rush to my rural mailbox to grab the package before it could be stolen.

None of the above was apparent when I first signed up for the service. I'm sure there will be more uses when USPS extends the service to PO boxes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Yep. There are two ways to destroy a system. One is to starve it for adequate information, as per your example. The other is to overload it with too much information, as it might be if the service sent copies of all my snail mail (mostly junk mail). Since the USPS doesn't seem to use email very much, I would not expect them to understand that the value of the Informed Delivery service is in filtering the letters that they photograph and send, and not in the service itself.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

One more obvious use that I forgot to include. When I receive an Informed Delivery message that I should be expecting a letter, and it doesn't arrive because the carrier dumped it in the wrong mailbox (a common occurrence), at least I know about it before bothering the neighbors.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

50% wrong. The email that arrives has exactly one photo. However, if allegedly there are other mail messages, it includes the message: "You may have more mail than is shown here. To check, go to your Dashboard >" at: This turns a very convenient service into a time burner because the above message appears even if there is NO additional mail.

I just discovered another "feature". If I'm logged into the dashboard and looking at my email, any attempt to look at any other web page under Informed Deliver ends up going to the same dashboard page or a redirect failure. I tried looked at the FAQ while logged in, and got an error message. However, when I logged out, it worked just fine. Anyway:

in the future. PO Box customers in certain Post Offices

service to receive a text-only message without images, via email or SMS message. Check with your local Post Office for more details."

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

We don't have a theft problem around here... everyone is armed and have no trouble butting in when they see something going down.

Plus two of my neighbors prominently park their Pinal County Sheriff vehicles on the street ;-)

Very quiet neighborhood. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Den tirsdag den 19. september 2017 kl. 02.39.39 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's obviously a regional difference, there are no such problems mid-Atlant ic.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 9/18/2017 8:05 PM:

The other is to make it nearly impossible to sign up for the service. I'd like to have this at my second home where it is a half mile walk to them mailbox (I walk it for the exercise) and a 20 mile drive to the USPO. The online verification doesn't work, I suppose because they can't connect me to this residence, they ask questions which are all "none of the above" answers and I flunk. The alternative is to take my deed to the PO. Really? It's not good enough to have a driver's license to show who I am and to take some mail with my name for this address?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

It's nice to know when the "check is in the mail".

Reply to
stratus46

Do you work for the post office?

lunatic fringe electronics