Using PostScript as a General Purpose Computing Language

A total nonstarter as far as I can tell.

Discounting the primary problem for ALL programmers (H-1B predation and consequent employer spoilage) there is absolutely no market for General Purpose PostScript Programmers. I have never seen an ad for one yet. I have never seen this skill set even mentioned in any advertisement for Programmers in my life.

Considering that PostScript is a derivative of Forth, you would consider there would be some crossover there. Unfortunately, there is no substantial demand for Forthwrights either. It's true some basement hacker types really like Forth for embedded development. Unfortunately, most of them have to flip burgers, work at Walmart, or deal in surplus electrojunk for a living. I have enough esoteric hobbies as it is.

The other problem is the lack of toolsets and working environments for writing PostScript. GNU Ghostscript works on Unix environments, I'm told. But again that's a pretty obscure place to have to work. Using a laser printer as a computer and throwing away the output, though utterly stupid on a colossal scale, can be done. Even that is becoming tougher as the old battleaxe printers die and become unreplaceable. The last bastion for true Adobe PostScript is on some enterprise level (read: as big as an old Xerox office copier, in fact, that's what many primarily are) printers having to exist in mixed Windows/Unix environments. (Since 95% of code is actually generated on laptops today-the reason they make laptops with bizarre RISC architectures that are dead on the desktop-carrying a 500 lb printer in your notebook bag seems a bizarre requirement.)

Unix, Unix, Unix. I hate Unix, you say. Where else is PostScript used? Well, nowhere. Microsoft doesn't particularly love PostScript, Adobe being Mussolini to Steve Jobs' Apple which is, you know, that guy Godwin was bitching about.

If you are a aficionado of learning obscure and pedantic languages PostScript is up there with IBM mainframe JCL, TeX, and some of the bizarrer alternatives to perl or Python. But since human beings do not think in reverse Polish or postfix notation (maybe Poles do, but that's why they are perhaps the butts of more jokes than any other nationality on earth) it's probably safe to say that PostScript might be a fine page description language for Unix workgroup printing, but the beginner would be best directed to learn C++, perl or Java.

Reply to
RapidRonnie

Python seems to be what's slowly killing Tcl/Tk, which itself isn't a half-bad language.

Oh, and *many* universities still require theses to be submitted in TeX!

I'm pretty sure that HP, way back when, made their calculators use RPN because they were convinced it was *better* than infix, not because of any technical limitations. I certainly find RPN more intuitive to use than infix.

Those languages are all "last generation" as well -- Python, C# and VB.net are what drive a lot of new job requirements these days. (And while we could sit around all day and argue the merits of various languages, these days I think there is a certain amount of "change for the sake of change" within the computer industry -- although a language such as Java or C# is supposedly an improvement over C++, realistically the percentage of people who'll ever be able to *appreciate* that improvement is miniscule. The vast majority of programmers don't even begin to stretch the boundaries of what any particular language can do, and as more and more "wizards" are used in programming environment, even that number is shrinking, IMO.)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You will have to pry my HP32S RPN calculator out of my cold, dead, clenched hands. "Equal" keys are for wusses.

John

At one time, they were even going to change their name to Packard-Hewlett.

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

HP15C for me.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

You have at least one error: Ghostscript is supported in windows environments; there even was support for DOS (before Windows).

Then there is a second error: One does not have to have a PostScript printer; if you want to print to a PostScript printer in order to render something to that code, one can install the printer *driver* and direct the output to FILE instead of the (non-existant) printer.

Reply to
Robert Baer

"Brett Ludwig" tries again with a new account and a new name!!

Try some V I A G R A that might get you a rise.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Fuck man, TCL is the worste language i have ever used. Yuk. good riddance to it.

I am only just learning c#, an i realise the benifits over c++. Despite the fact, i still miss the control i have with c++.

Reply to
The Real Andy

because

Hewlett Packard -

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Why are you learning a dead language? It's a well-known fact that C and C++ has been a dead-end for almost a decade. If you really want cutting edge technology you should be learning VisualBasic.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

An opposing view:

Postscript is a FANTASTIC language for a certain niche. A small niche, to be sure.

But let's say you need to print out some fancy graphics, like a custom label, personalized with a certain graphic, a serial number, and a bar code. AND print it out at 5 different sizes orientations and rotations. Hard to do, unless you use Postscript. Or you need to print out a variety of old radio slide-rule dials, some with bold yellow tick marks every 10Kc, some with red dots every 20Kc, some with linear frequency scales, some log. Some in Helvetica font, some with a stretched vertical garamond font. Hard to do, unless you use Postscript. Or you need to generate a LCD pattern, with 37 pie-shaped segments distributed evenly over 90 degrees, and evenly spaced connecting traces to pads arranged around a circular edge (to simulate a 6E5 eye tube), and be able to parametrically control the segment spacing, line widths, line spacings, pad sizes, pad spacings, and segment fill and colors.. Really hard to do, unless you use Postscript.

Postscript is MARVELOUS for many graphics applicatioins. I wouldnt write a number-crunching app in it, or a BIG app, but a page or two of Postscript can do wonders.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Uh, or a graphics program.

Reply to
R. Totale

When I discovered Gnu/Linux about ten years ago I suddenly came to programmers heaven! I can not find much Visual Basic in my computer, so I do not know anything about it! What about emacs-lisp? I still prefer plain c.

--
Sven Wilhelmsson
http://home.swipnet.se/swi

Why are you suggesting that they learn an obsolete language? It is a well known fact that VisualBasic has been an obsolete language for 11 years. If you really want advanced technology, you should be learning OpenBasic.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Uh, or a graphics program which happens to have programming langauge class scripting capabilities. The point was that you can do these things flexibly and easily make changes, because the resulting output is derived from a descriptive source code which may be highly parametric, not a bunch of mouse clicks that would have to be done over to make trivial paramater changes.

As for graphics programs with proramming langauge class scripting capablities, the only ones that immediately come to mind are... postscript interpreters.

Reply to
cs_posting

If you look back at Ancient Hacker's post and think about it, there's little if anything among his examples which, given the choice between a WYSIWYG graphics package and learning PostScript, any sane human without a surplus of extra time on their hands would consider to be =easier= to implement in PostScript. I grant you that unsane humans exist.

Ot the GIMP, which can be controlled with Perl or Scheme, both but especially the first languages that might actually be useful for something else once you've learned them.

Reply to
R. Totale

I do that with Autocad and lisp

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Yes, you're not missing much. Nevertheless, the Linux port of Visual Basic is at an advanced stage, for some reason. Working versions already downloadable:

Dave Farrance
Reply to
Dave Farrance

I think one of the main reasons that the utterly stunning capabilities of PostScript are not a lot more widely known or more deeply appreciated is simply that nobody realizes how fast, simple, cheap, and easy using PostScript as a general purpose language has recently become.

You simply shove an ordinary ASCII textfile into distiller, and you are home free.

At ZERO cost and hassle if you already have access to full Acrobat or GhostScript.

I especially like to use PostScript to programatically write incredibly complex JaveScript programs for me, as in

And to create absolutely outstanding ultra-legible small size typography in ordinary .BMP bitmaps per

Or to build an eBay image theft detector, as in

Or to insanely simplify electromagnetic field analysis, as in

Or to do "architects perspective" correction to .BMP images, as in

Or fully automatic image background vingnetting as in

Or elaborate Bezier cubic spline manipulations, including constant width subdivision and four point fitting, as in

And, of course, to replace the utterly obscene PowerPoint with single ultra short fast loading files that look ridiculously better and distribute infinitly simpler, as in

Two examples at
and

More at

Especially

Additional free tutorials at

Consulting services available.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

PowerBasic is great. It's a clean language, makes simple 1-file EXEs, and can run useful FOR loops at 30 MHz on my PC.

John