Using a DMM to measure output isolation/crosstalk

I'm making some PCB's that have some DC to DC converters on them with three 5 Volt converters, one 15 volt converter, and a converter with +/- 12 volt s DC. On the PCB the output pins are in a connector that are fairly close to each other. I want to make sure that there is isolation between all the supply outputs. The +/-12 supply shares the same common between them, but I"ll hav e to check to make sure that common isn't shorted to the +15volts for examp le. These components were from

.

I need to be able to test about 20 of these boards.

My idea is I'm already doing line/load regulation on these supplies so I ha ve the DMM in VDC mode. After the line/load regulation test, I leave the po sitive lead of the DMM on the first supply, then I move the negative lead t o each supply. I should measure the supply voltage output of the first supp ly, then zero VDC moving the negative lead to each supply.

Then I move on to the next supply leave the positive on that supply, and te st all the negative pins making sure they are 0 VDC.

My question is, should I also do this for the positive pins for each supply ?

Example: Now leave the Negative lead on the supply, and move the Positive l ead to each supply making sure it is also 0VDC, or would this step be redun dant?

Reply to
Chuoiujk

? 2016?8?8???? UTC+

8??4:45:31?Chuoiujk???

ee 5 Volt converters, one 15 volt converter, and a converter with +/- 12 vo lts DC.

ch other. I want to make sure that there is isolation between all the suppl y outputs. The +/-12 supply shares the same common between them, but I"ll h ave to check to make sure that common isn't shorted to the +15volts for exa mple. These components were from

.

have the DMM in VDC mode. After the line/load regulation test, I leave the positive lead of the DMM on the first supply, then I move the negative lead to each supply. I should measure the supply voltage output of the first su pply, then zero VDC moving the negative lead to each supply.

test all the negative pins making sure they are 0 VDC.

ly?

lead to each supply making sure it is also 0VDC, or would this step be red undant?

[image]
=844/image]
Reply to
Chuoiujk

? 2016?8?8???? UTC+

8??4:47:16?Chuoiujk???

C+8??4:45:31?Chuoiujk???

hree 5 Volt converters, one 15 volt converter, and a converter with +/- 12 volts DC.

each other. I want to make sure that there is isolation between all the sup ply outputs. The +/-12 supply shares the same common between them, but I"ll have to check to make sure that common isn't shorted to the +15volts for e xample. These components were from

.

I have the DMM in VDC mode. After the line/load regulation test, I leave th e positive lead of the DMM on the first supply, then I move the negative le ad to each supply. I should measure the supply voltage output of the first supply, then zero VDC moving the negative lead to each supply.

d test all the negative pins making sure they are 0 VDC.

pply?

ve lead to each supply making sure it is also 0VDC, or would this step be r edundant?

ID=844/image] Here is the image. I hope this could help you understand my question.

Reply to
Chuoiujk

We test multi-channel isolated things by making a string-of-resistors voltage divider powered by some DC. Each tap on the string goes to one channel. We measure all those tap voltages to demonstrate isolation to ground and between channels.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com