USB Wireless Modem Users?

Anyone using a USB _wireless_ modem (not WiFi) with your laptop?

Comments? Recommendations? Provider? ...Jim Thompson

-- [On the Road, in New York]

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Droid, Verizon.

roid_phone_for_free.html

Reply to
linnix

Verizon, ATT, T-mobile have good coverage here. Sprint not so good.

Does it need to be USB? What about MiFi? t-mobile has a prepaid MiFi.

Watch out for the battery in the USB modem, since the USB is limited to

500ma. The radio requires a little more than that.

I know of some Verizon users, that are happy. Watch the Gb cap on usage. I personally would go with T-mobile if I had to. They reduce speed over the cap. You might get a better deal with your carrier tho.

Still up for a drink? I'll you call tomorrow.

Martin Riddle

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

A wireless link to what? Is the link microwave? I have a friend that links to uw reapeater. The provider is local. Or are you talking about something like DPC? I suspect you=92ll have to find the service and the hardware will follow.

Reply to
meg

Great! At my wife's suggestion to cure cabin fever I'm off to a movie this afternoon... "The Debt"

Talk to you tomorrow! ...Jim Thompson

--
                  [On the Road, in New York]

That's why nobody uses them anymore. My droid takes less than 250mA. I also keep my camera, gps and phone at home. Droid is all in one,

Reply to
linnix

When I was in Australia I used a Vodafone Pre-Paid Broadband modem that worked in gaps on the local 3G mobile telephone network, via a Huawei K3765 HSPA USB stick.

When the mobile network wasn't too busy I was getting peak data- transfer rates of around 160kbit/second. Not great, but significantly faster than a regular telephone modem, which won't do better than

56kbit on a very good telephone line.

The cheapest pre-paid option was $19 per month for 0.5Gbyte, which was a bit less than what I used. When I first got to Australia I paid an extra $10 to boost that to 4 Gbyte, most of which I carried over when I renewed for the next months, so I still had about 3 Gbyte left (having paid for a total of 5 Gbyte) when I came home.

It worked fine under Windows 7. Linux - SuSE 11.4 - couldn't do anything with it. There are things I could have done that might have got it working with Linux, but I didn't do much more than find out m what they were and get an mini-memory card to plug into the USB stick which could have accommodated alternative - more Linux friendly - software for the K3765, if I'd ever got around to down-loading it.

Since my wife depended on the USB modem to check her e-mail and up- and down-load stuff when she was working at home, I never actually got around to changing anything in the modem.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

.

Why bother with work-arounds? Go 3G/4G mobile. If you want to spend the money, 4G can get you into Megabits.

I just rooted my droid, and digging around the system. In theory, it should be possible to bridge the mobile network with WiFi (peer to peer). Basically, turning the droid into a mobile relay. All the hardware and software are there already. Just need to reconfig it right.

For now, just need to USB cable between the laptop and droid.

People missed the idea of mobile revolution. It's not about the phone. It's about getting rid of all other junks.

Reply to
linnix

Virgin Mobile flogs the Novatel 760, 3G. The advantage to Virgin Mobile is their no-contract plans, around $50 per month for up to 2.5 Gb of data. Check them out at

The downside of Virgin Mobile is that their tech support is clueless; you're better off calling the Vatican, as at least they will pray for you, and that will do you more good than calling Virgin Mobile.

Reply to
artie

Virgin Mobile is on the Sprint network.

Martin Riddle

I understand more than one of the newer smartphones are capable of acting as wifi hotspots for other phones; if you have a good connection and they don't, they can piggyback on you. That makes you effectively a celltower/ISP server.

Eventually all phones will do this, likely automatically, daisy-chaining phones that can't get good signal from their brand of tower to phones that have a good signal, making which carrier you pay irrelevant to your ability to connect. I see this accidentally or possibly forcibly merging with "cloud computing"- as you say bypassing the carrier bottleneck peer-to-peer wise. Soon after that the brick & mortar phone and internet backbone infrastructures will go away.

I'm not sure if that's a Good Thing (hacking and privacy considerations-wise), but I see it coming. Question is, how will telcos/ISPs bill for service when their subscribers' signals aren't required to go through their specific systems any more? What will governments do when they have no leverage on or ability to tax their citizens' communications because there's no bottleneck through which to monitor them?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

wrote

Fi.

nd

I don't see it as a bad thing. We are still being charged for connection and bandwidth usages, just not ridiculously overpriced data plans. Phone companies, vested by monopoly powers, are skewing the costs of usage patterns, to maximize profits of course.

Reply to
linnix

It's called a tethered phone. Child's play.

I noticed T-Mob has blocked tethered roaming, but not data roaming directly from the phone. There should be a hack around that. Now tethered data on the T-Mob network is not an issue.

This doesn't accomplish much since I did large downloads on the phone, then transferred them to the notebook.

Reply to
miso

.

droid or usb doesn't matter much when a gsm radio uses something like

2A peak, with the 500mA current limit in the USB spec there needs to be some energy storage, as far as understand it is usually done with supercaps

with battery powered device you might not need that assuming the battery can handle the peak current even when it gets near the end of a charge

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

ote

Fi.

Droid (genericly speaking, not just MOT) can handle it with around

250mA to 400mA. Even when talking (transmitter/receiver on) for hours, it can lasts for hours. Yes, it does have a 1500mAHr battery.
Reply to
linnix