USB PORTS on the motherboard WORST INVENTION EVER.

When USB was invented I thought what I stupid idea.

Who the fok powers devices via a communication cable ?!

Only a NUTCASE would have thought of that ?!

And my feeling has become a reality.

THE USB PORTS ARE DESIGNED SO RETARDLY that it is actually possible to connect the USB PLUGS wrongly very easily !!!

As a result of the power flowing through the USB cables this will FRY the motherboard in such a situation.

NOW COMPARE THIS TO OLD SCHOOL STUFF:

IDE CABLES.... AND PLUGS AND PORTS....

At least those would not cause pin mis alignment on better designed motherboards... the better ones have a plastic rectangle around it... so it will only fit properly...

ALL MOTHERBOARDS I HAVE SEEN SO FAR includings those of ASUS and ASROCK have no rectangle around USB PORT ?!!!!

FOK THEM.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

The following went wrong:

USB port pins:

. .. .. .. ..

plug was connected as follows:

xx xx xx xx xx ..

One row too high !

This happened because I did not want to take apart my entire PC...

It was a bit dark, as usual in cases... ! ;)

Tried plugging it in from the side...

Or maybe I even did it from the top with full light...

Apperently somehow it happened ?!

WEIRD !

Perhaps something else killed the motherboard, but this is a prime suspect.

The question is now:

Could it actually have killed it ?! ;)

Me think so, but somebody with detailed motherboard and pin layout will have to investigate further.

I might also do so later on...

I also suspect the "ground wire" got electrified... or perhaps eletricity tried to escape via it... the eletricity ended up into the soundblaster/receiver it was hearable...

I wonder if a grounded-pc might have prevented damage... I don't know... PC is not grounded.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

It sux pretty hard. This build was an experiment to see what would happen if I would buy the latest and greatest as all those benchmarking and review sites promote more or less.

I did have a lot of fun with Battlefield 2 and other games... but I am pretty much done with shooters... After playing those for 20 years I simply became too good at it... also having a super computer helps.

I am pretty much completely done with this system/build. It kept dieing for many different reasons.

The case is full with damaged harddisks because of cleaning the dust filters, which were ultimately removed.

I kept the fans on medium speed. This still sucked in a lot of dust. I blew out the dust via breath and that worked after picking out big dust parts with pincet.

If I do rebuild it then I will put the fans on low as a final and last experiment.

If I do buy a new pc in the future it will be a closed PC as much as possible to keep dust out... very low airflow and as much as possible passively cooled and low noise. Even such a PC would not have prevented the stupid usb plug bullshit... I just googled it and it seems I am most definetly not the only one who has now run into this issue it totally sux. Perhaps I will try and get warranty claiming that "USB port design is flawed/error prone" and that I deserve a replacement. Though I don't necessarily want to cause an argument with the webshop... however there are other reasons why I might not do that.

For now the first thing I want to know if the delock device was flawed in it's design and may have caused unnecessary damage.

So both devices could be blamed... both both at the same webshop.

Fo now I just want to know what went wrong and why it killed my motherboard to try and prevent it in the future... a nasty learning experience.

I want to buy a tablet really badly and dump the whole pc idea... unfortunately I cannot because of information stored on harddisks, and the low resources that tables have.

Thx for the tip about USB 3.0 though... I hope it's fixed in USB 3.0...

I will make damn sure that my next motherboard has USB 3.0 and a minimum of plugs that could be plugged wrongly.

Also perhaps I will dump the AMD X2 3800+ processor just in case... 2 of the heatsink's screws broke off when I tried to unscrew it from my chair lazy when the pc was not in front of me but side ways/front towards me as usual.

Apperently PC's are so fragile they require an operation room like churgery ! ;) Anything else and damage is prone to occur ;) That kinda sux.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

No it's a bad idea and here is why:

" My gf accidentally put a stereo jack into a USB 3.0 port in the dark, and it killed her computer.

That is, the power supply is functional and it turns on, but the monitor and USB devices do not work.. so presumably it doesn't even get into the bios.

Anyone have any experience with this? I *think* it's a short circuit.. but I've never short circuited a PC before, so I don't know where to even start. "

Let's be gratefull that it wasn't 220 motherfokking volts !

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

A nice document about the problems with USB, and possible solutions/protections for eletronic designers (?):

Mentions:

Power surges, over-voltage, over-ampere stuff like that.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Yes, the wall socket doesn't have a ground pin as far as I know...

Just 2 pins.... (Europe).

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I was thinking the same thing...

Instead of getting a device I could also store my information on "the cloud"...

However if internet goes offline well then you know what would happen...

A network attached storage device is still not usefull for me without processing power...

That's the main thing right now... getting more processing power... and then I can get my data back and so forth.

Also not a lot of room for even more devices... where would I place a nat device... I'd be a bit worried if I kick it on accident... at least with everything inside the PC I know I have to be carefull... however the occasional bump against the table might also not be too great.

However a kick from the feet is probably much harder than a bump against the table ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I am not so sure about USB 3.0 anymore... it's ampere is even higher... sounds fricking dangerous.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Moving to a single cable for data & power is definitely a great idea, reducing cost and improving connectivity. Without this the USB pen drive would be extremely impractical, this is a device which has taken the world by storm, and for good reason. I go nowhere without mine incase my FTP server is offline and I need a piece of software.

I agree with your other post regard better fool-proofing at the motherboard side. This is something they have addressed with USB 3.0, it can only be plugged in one way :)

Pete

Reply to
Pete

What could possibly go wrong in there ?

The way he installs stuff, it's pretty hard for the header *not* to be visible.

This is a previous motherboard in the Dream PC. Same idea. Wires generally out of the way. My PC isn't this clean looking inside. But, I'm a lot more careful with headers. I don't plug them in "hot" or anything.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Pete

Any computer he touches sucks. He's the one that Murphy warned you about. He studied under Lucas. He's the village idiot for the entire EU.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It replaces a 25 pin DB-25 connector standard, where typically only 3 to 5 of the pins are used. USB is also much faster.

Ummm... PoE, HDMI, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, and possibly Apple's new Lightning port on the iPhone 5. However, not Firewire, which might explain why it can't be used with flash drives and is unpopular on USB hard disk drives that require power from the computah.

We're trying to figure out how to deliver peripheral power via fiber optic cable. Your nightmare come true.

I feel your pain, but not your reality.

Only true for type A USB connectors. All the others, including micro and mini USB, have beveled corners.

You have it backwards. The power comes from the motherboard and is used to power the peripherals. If you have a peripheral that sources power via the USB cable, you're doing something very wrong. The only case where that MIGHT happen is a USB to USB transfer cable. It's not a problem on cell phones because even though the phone has a battery, the USB connector does not source this power. Check your wiring and your assumptions.

Can you get 480Mbits/sec on an IDE cable? Probably not without also dealing with horrible crosstalk and noise problems. The lack of speed is why SATA has replaced PATA ribbon cables. As for the other plugs and ports, I consider the DIN style PS/2 kbd/mouse connector to be an abomination and was overjoyed when USB replaced them.

The plastic rectangle and wide base plugs are in the mini-USB and micro-USB specification to prevent the brute force misalignment of the connector causing adjacent pins to short. The plastic rectangle is designed to center and align the metal frame around the jack. I'm not sure if it's in the spec.

If ATX style, they have a metal escutcheon plate that serves the same purpose.

If you must... be sure to use plenty of lubricant and please use a condom. I would not want more of your kind to darken my life.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Reply to
Pete

This is the kind of 'fix' he would try:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just because motherboards are implemented in a stupid way doesn't mean that power-over-serial is a bad idea.

USB doesn't kill motherboards -- motherboards kill motherboards.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

More of the same:

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

How can that be possible? Isn't there that 3 pin connector at the power supply.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Well it certainly wont suffer from thermal issues. I'd love to see an EMC testers face if I landed down to the chamber with that!!

Reply to
Pete

I had one of those customers long ago. She was a little old lady doing desktop publishing in a trailer. No matter what I did, something would always go wrong with her computah. After replacing literally everything except the case, I decided to trade machines with my known working office computah. Within days, she was again experiencing weirdness, crashes, oddities, and failures. Some people have an aura about them, that causes computers to die. Mr Skybuck Flying is probably one of those. Some people are just not meant to own and operate a computah.

Incidentally, her old computah worked just fine in my office for many months and it wasn't the utility power as I borrowed a Dranetz power line monitor/logger which showed nothing unusual.