USB Hub Socket question.

All USB hubs that I have seen come with an input (to hub) USB cable hard-wired to the case.

The one, that I plan to build, would have a detachable cable.

What type of socket (A or B or other) could be used as receptacle for input to the USB hub, without violating the standard.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
siliconmike

The Stratitec four port USB hub on this computer uses a "B" port for the input, four "A" ports for peripherals, and a coaxial power connector to the wall wart. I don't see a model number, and its not on their website:

I think that I bought it in

2001, just before Microdyne started to down size and close their local plant.
prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I still use an (obsolete USB 1.1) Belkin F5U021 4-port that has a detachable root-port cable. I dunno if their current models also do.

This one's a type B (not mini-B), if that helps.

If I may ask, why do you insist on a detachable root-port cable?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson

I thought type B was for downstream devices. Anyhow, I guess a hub is a downstream device itself, with further downstream devices connected to it.

Mike

Reply to
siliconmike

In fact the hub that I'm building is part of a larger device which is bulky. Thats why I don't want any hard wired cables attached to it. Imagine having a hard wired cable to say, a laptop!

Reply to
siliconmike

Type B, for the 'input', and type A for the 'outputs'. More than 50% of hubs, come with sockets, not built in cables. The latter are common on 'mini hubs', but full size units, with power, will normally have sockets.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Most don't have captive cables ...

If you read the spec, it's quite clear that you use a Type B connector on the input to the hub, as it's the downstream device from an upstream hub,

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters