USB: FTDI chip or HID?

Hello,

I need to design a board which should send data to a computer via USB. The data is composed of a packet of about 25/30 bytes sent every 10 ms. A software running on the PC side should receive this information and store it on a file.

I'm wondering if it's better to use an FTDI chip and make the things easy using a virtual COM port or to implement a "true" USB communication (HID?).

I'm afraid about the speed needed to receive and save the string into a file.

What do you recommend? Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

On a sunny day (Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:23:47 +0200) it happened Marco Trapanese wrote in :

30 bytes means 300 bits, (x 10 because 1 start -, 8 data - , and 1 stop bit added). 100 x per second makes = 30000 bps. Standard baudrates above that are 38400, 57600, or 115200. If you use 115200 Bd you should be fine with a serial to USB converter, if I did the math right.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tim

Tim Williams

What makes you think that a virtual COM port with an FTDI chip is not "true" USB communication?

HID is a USB class, and makes sense if you are making a mouse or a keyboard, or something that will act like a mouse or keyboard. It certainly does not sound like that's what you are doing.

A virtual COM port (using FTDI chips, or some other kind) is almost certainly the easiest solution. You can pretend the FTDI chip is just an RS-232 driver - you connect to it with a UART, and at the other end you've got a new comms port on the computer. It works with any system (plug and play on Linux, or by installing FTDI's drivers on Windows), and you can use a whole range of baud rates up to about 3 MBaud.

Reply to
David Brown

FTDI chip, Then you don't need a PID and VID since its in the FTDI already.

Martin Riddle

Il 17/10/2010 23:57, David Brown ha scritto:

The "other end". On the pc side if I use a virtual COM port I need to receive data from it. I was thinking that a custom driver that get data directly from a USB class could be faster.

You're right. I used HID to make my own joystick controller, but I saw people that use HID to exchange data.

Ok, I got it. I thank all other guys who answered me.

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Il 17/10/2010 23:43, Tim Williams ha scritto:

*Very* interesting!

Thanks! Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

You can talk directly to the FTDI driver you don't have to use it as a virtual comport.

and you data rate is extremely slow for usb, a few 100 times faster shouldn't be problem even for a virtual comport

I think that is mostly to avoid the need for a driver

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Have a look at that..

Reply to
Jamie

It probably make more sense to implement it as USB Mass Storage Device, with or without file system encoded. Since you are storing data as a file and the PC reading data as a file, it should be a file storage device.

Reply to
linnix